January Jones, who stars as Betty Francis on the AMC drama Mad Men, is pregnant, reports People. In confirming the news to the magazine, a representative for the actress did not reveal the identity of the father, but noted that the baby, Jones’ first, is due this fall. Jones stars in June’s X-Men: First Class, while the fifth season of Mad Men premieres in 2012.
Tag: Movie (71-80 of 1968)
In stark contrast to the last time the Writers Guild of America negotiated a new contract with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, the WGA announced today that its members had “overwhelmingly” — and quietly — ratified a new three-year contract with the AMPTP by 90.7 percent. The terms run from May 2, 2011 through May 1, 2014, and include increases in pension plan contributions, pay TV payments, and minimum fees.
The WGA famously went on a 100-day strike between Nov. 5, 2007 and Feb. 12, 2008 during the previous contract negotiation, largely over payment for new media.
Actor Rob Schneider (Grown Ups) married Patricia Azarcoya Arce in a private ceremony in Beverly Hills on April 23. “Patricia and I were surrounded by our closest friends and family,” the 47-year-old actor said in a statement. “It was the happiest day of my life.”
Actress Emma Watson, 21, will be transferring from Brown University to another university this fall, according to the Associated Press. Watson, who plays Hermione in the Harry Potter films, has recently taken time out of her studies to focus on her movie career.
Former Sony president and chairman Norio Ohga, who helped guide the development of the compact disc and was behind Sony’s purchase of Columbia Pictures, died Saturday of multiple organ failure at 81, the company announced today. Ohga was president of Sony from 1982 through 1995, a time when the Japan-based company expanded into portable electronic devices like the Walkman, and videogaming with the Sony PlayStation.
Lindsay Lohan's grand felony theft charge reduced to misdemeanor, but she's sentenced to 120 days in jail for probation violation
UPDATED: After a two-picture movie deal, Lindsay Lohan scored another victory — and a major setback — today in court: One day after snagging roles in Gotti: Three Generations and Mob Street, the actress’ grand felony charge has been reduced to a misdemeanor. In Los Angeles Superior Court Friday, Judge Stephanie Sautner decided to give Lohan “an opportunity,” saying she had seen more severe cases become misdemeanors. The actress was charged with the felony in February after allegedly stealing a $2,500 necklace from a jewelry store in Venice, Calif., in January.
Judge Sautner did, however, rule that Lohan had violated her probation, after the prosecution presented evidence and testimony from jewelry store employees and two police officers who handled the case. The judge sentenced Lohan to 120 days in jail and 480 hours of community service in a L.A. women’s center and the county morgue for the violation. Lohan appealed the ruling and posted $75,000 bail. A pretrial hearing has been set for May 11; if convicted of the misdemeanor, Lohan could face one year in jail. “I see the intent here,” Judge Sautner said during Friday’s hearing. “I see a level of brazenness with ‘Let me see what I can get away with here.’”
Lohan had pleaded not guilty to allegations of theft, and has turned down two plea deals that likely guaranteed jail time. Following the hearing, she told the Associated Press that she looked forward to beginning work on her two films, which include Gotti, the biopic about mob boss John Gotti Sr., in which she’ll play Kim Gotti. (She was previously being considered for the role of Victoria Gotti before producers announced she was no longer in talks for that role.) “I’m really excited to be back on set and clear up all the misinterpretations about me and show this is what I love to do,” she said. “I think in the past, I had a lot of distractions … I’ve learned a lot. I’ve lived a lot. When I’m on set, it’s about the film.”
Lindsay Lohan back in court for preliminary hearing
Lindsay Lohan to play Kim Gotti in ‘Gotti: Three Generations’
Lindsay Lohan facing jury trial: Legal experts weigh in on her possible fate
Just one week after losing their appeal to re-open their 2008 settlement against Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg, Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss are appealing the court’s decision. The Associated Press is reporting the Winklevoss twins are asking the federal appeals court to reconsider their opinion that the Harvard alums accept the terms of their settlement. Back in 2008, the Winklevosses accepted $20 million in order to drop their suit against Facebook that alleged Zuckerberg had stolen their idea for the social media site.
Nicolas Cage was arrested in New Orleans and charged with domestic abuse, disturbing the peace and public drunkenness after an altercation with his wife, Alice Kim, on Dumaine Street in the French Quarter late Friday night. A rep for the 47-year-old actor did not immediately return EW’s request for comment. The New Orleans Police Department has issued the following statement detailing the couple’s argument.
“[Cage] and his wife were standing in front of a residence that he insisted was the property the couple was renting. She disagreed, and Cage grabbed her by the upper arm and pulled her to what he believed was the correct address. There were no visible signs of injury on his wife’s arm. The actor then began striking vehicles and later attempted to get into a taxi. At that point, an officer who had been flagged down by onlookers drove up on the couple, immediately observed that Cage was heavily intoxicated, and ordered him out of the cab, which prompted Cage to start yelling. The officers subsequently took Cage to Central Lock-Up.”
Director Bernardo Bertolucci will be awarded an honorary Palme d’Or during the opening night of the Cannes Film Festival, according to festival organizers. The director, whose films include 1970′s The Conformist and 1987′s The Last Emperor, will receive the award May 11.
Past honorees include Woody Allen and Clint Eastwood, who won in 2002 and 2009, respectively.
Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, the Harvard-educated twins who accused Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg of stealing their social network idea, were told by a court that they could not re-open their 2008 agreement in the hopes of a more lucrative settlement. “The Winklevosses are not the first parties bested by a competitor who then seek to gain through litigation what they were unable to achieve in the marketplace. And the courts might have obliged, had the Winklevosses not settled their dispute and signed a release of all claims against Facebook,” wrote Chief Judge Alex Kozinski of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. “At some point, litigation must come to an end. That point has now been reached.”
- 'DWTS': Kellie and Derek win season 16
- Kellie Pickler: 'I want to hug this room'
- 'Voice' song for tornado victims: Watch
- Critics Choice noms for 'Big Bang,' 'Horror'
- Bono, Olivia Wilde join 'toilet strike'
- 'Bachelor's Funniest': Yuk (yuck) yuk...
- CBS takes 2012-13 ratings crown from Fox
- Justin Bieber booed: Will he listen?