News Briefs TV, movie and music news

Tag: Movie (51-60 of 1976)

Jason Bateman and wife expecting second child

Jason Bateman and his wife, Amanda Anka, will soon add a second daughter to their family, according to People. The news was confirmed by singer Paul Anka, who is Amanda’s father, in a Canadian interview. The 42-year-old Horrible Bosses star and his wife have a 4-year-old daughter, Francesca Nora.

Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith not separating

Today is not quite Independence Day for Will Smith. The actor and his wife of 13 years, Jada Pinkett Smith, released a statement through their rep saying are not separating, as In Touch reported. “Although we are reluctant to respond to these types of press reports, the rumors circulating about our relationship are completely false. We are still together, and our marriage is intact,” said the couple.

The Smiths have two children: Jaden, 13, and Willow, 10. Smith has a son, Trey, from a previous relationship, who tweeted earlier today that the break-up news was false.

'Twilight' actor arrested

Twilight actor Kiowa Gordon was arrested on Monday morning in Tempe, Ariz., for an outstanding warrant, according to the Mesa Police Department. Last September, Gordon, who plays the werewolf Embry Call in the blockbuster films, had been arrested in Mesa for driving under the influence of drugs; when he failed to appear in municipal court to face those charges in February, an arrest warrant was issued. On Monday, Gordon, 21, was taken into custody after Tempe police stopped a vehicle registered to him in which he was a passenger. He was not investigated or charged with any new DUI related charges, and he was later released after paying a $1,500 bond. Gordon’s publicist did not comment except to point to the police report.

Rowan Atkinson, a.k.a. Mr. Bean, crashes his McLaren F1

Rowan Atkinson, the actor best known as Mr. Bean, crashed his McLaren F1 supercar in Haddon, England, on Thursday night. Authorities tell the Associated Press alcohol was not a factor in the accident, which Atkinson was able to walk away from with just a minor shoulder injury even though his seven-figure car, one of the world’s fastest, is said to have struck a tree and a lamppost before catching fire. He left the hospital Friday afternoon.

'Grease's Cha Cha, Annette Charles, dies

Actress Annette Charles, who played Cha Cha, the villain’s feisty girlfriend who famously danced with John Travolta in Grease, died Wednesday, according to California State University – Northridge, where she was a part-time professor. The 63-year-old actress, who also appeared in television shows like Magnum, P.I., The Incredible Hulk, and The Bionic Woman before leaving acting in 1987, had cancer. “She was a very dynamic and inpirational speaker, ” says Dr. David Rodriguez, the chair of the school’s Department of Chicana/o Studies. “She also had such a great sense of social consciousness and social justice, and her students just loved her.”

Disney picks director for live-action 'Snow White' movie

Commercials director and visual effects specialist Michael Gracey will direct Disney’s Snow White revisionist feature, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The live-action project, now called The Order of the Seven, has been in the works since 2002. This film — which, to be clear, has nothing to do with either Universal’s upcoming Snow White and the Huntsman (starring Kristen Stewart and Charlize Theron) or Relativity’s still-untitled Snow White film (starring Lily Collins and Julia Roberts) — will be set in China and “is evolving into an original action film, with the Snow White elements being minimized.”

Another baby on the way for Aaron Johnson and Sam Taylor-Wood

Some might criticize their 23-year age gap, but Aaron Johnson and Sam Taylor-Wood are still going strong. So strong, that they’re expecting their second child together. According to People, Kick-Ass star Johnson, 21, and 44-year-old filmmaker Taylor-Wood will soon welcome baby No. 2. The couple, who are engaged, already have one child, 1-year-old Wylda Rae. Taylor-Wood also has two daughters from a previous relationship with art dealer Jay Jopling.

Johnson, who starred in Taylor-Wood’s John Lennon biopic Nowhere Boy, addressed the couple’s age gap last year: “I’ve got a wonderful woman. I’m an old soul, and she’s a young soul.”

Read more:
‘Kick-Ass’ actor Aaron Johnson and fiancée have baby girl
16 Breakout Stars of 2010

Joe Pesci suing makers of John Gotti biopic for $3 million

Actor Joe Pesci is suing Fiore Films, the production company behind the John Gotti biopic Gotti: In the Shadow of My Father, for $3 million, reports the Associated Press. The suit alleges that the company used Pesci’s name to drum up interest in the project, only to rescind an offer for Pesci to play Gotti enforcer and childhood friend Angelo Ruggiero. The 68-year-old actor (pictured here at a May 2010 event) also claims he gained 30 pounds for the role.

John Travolta is attached to play the title role of the notorious New York mobster in the film, which is set to start production in January with director Barry Levinson. Other confirmed stars include Al Pacino, Lindsay Lohan, and Kelly Preston. Levinson and James Toback (who penned Levinson’s 1991 gangster film Bugsy) are writing the screenplay.

UPDATE: When reached by the AP, Mike Fiore, CEO of Fiore Films, claimed it was Pesci who had pulled out of the project, when the original director, Nick Cassavetes, left the film in April. Pesci, contends Fiore, said he would not return until Cassavetes was replaced, and then rebuffed attempts by Levinson to reach out to him. “Before we had a deal, Mr. Pesci walked away,” says Fiore, who also contends he’s considering countersuing Pesci. “He’s wasting his time and everybody else’s time. I might be a newbie in town. This newbie is not going to get bulled around.”

Read more:
Al Pacino joins ‘Gotti’ biopic
Lindsay Lohan will play Kim Gotti opposite John Travolta in ‘Gotti’ biopic
‘Gotti’ loses a director, gains critics. Could the film turn the mob boss into an anti-hero?

'Zorba the Greek' director Michael Cacoyannis dead

Michael Cacoyannis, the Cyprus born-filmmaker who directed Anthony Quinn in the 1964 Oscar-nominated film, Zorba the Greek, died of complications from a heart attack and chronic respiratory problems on Monday at an Athens hospital, according to the Associated Press. He was 89.

After studying law in London and working for the BBC, Cacoyannis made his debut as a director with Windfall in Athens (1954). Two years later, he won a Golden Globe for best foreign language film for Stella, starring Melina Mercouri. His greatest hit would be Zorba, based on Nikos Kazantzakis’ novel and starring Anthony Quinn. Cacoyannis earned three Oscar nominations — for Best Screenplay, Best Director, and Best Picture — and the film won three trophies, including one for Best Supporting Actress (Lila Kedrova). His final film was The Cherry Orchard (1999), which starred Charlotte Rampling, Alan Bates, and a young Gerard Butler.

“His movies received awards at the most important film festivals in the world,” Greece’s culture minister Pavlos Geroulanos said. “His work became the vehicle that took Greek culture to every corner of the earth, and served as a source of inspiration for Greek and foreign artists.”

Jane Fonda claims QVC canceled an appearance by the actress because of 'insane pressure' from extremist groups

Jane Fonda has alleged QVC cancelled an appearance by the actress because of pressure “by some well funded and organized political extremist groups.” The Oscar winner was due to appear on the network today to talk about her book Prime Time.

In a blog item she wrote for website The Wrap, the actress alleged, “The network said they got a lot of calls yesterday criticizing me for my opposition to the Vietnam War and threatening to boycott the show if I was allowed to appear.” Fonda went on to write that she was “deeply disappointed that QVC caved to this kind of insane pressure by some well funded and organized political extremist groups. And that they did it without talking to me first.”

In a statement to Reuters, QVC spokesman Paul Capelli said Fonda’s appearance was cancelled because of a “programming change.” Capelli added that he couldn’t “speak to Ms. Fonda’s comments, other than to confirm that a change in scheduling resulted in her not appearing today.”

Latest Videos

Advertisement

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP