News Briefs TV, movie and music news

Tag: Legal (71-80 of 343)

Beyonce's father granted cut in child support

A judge approved a substantial cut in the amount of child support that Beyonce Knowles’ father must pay because his income dropped after his superstar daughter fired him as her manager.

A ruling obtained by The Associated Press shows that a Los Angeles Superior Court judge cut the amount Mathew Knowles must pay to actress Alexsandra Wright from $12,000 a month to roughly $2,500 a month. The payments are for a son Knowles fathered with Wright while he was still married to Beyonce’s mother.

Although the singer’s name is not mentioned in Monday’s ruling, it notes that her father’s income has substantially fallen since she fired him in 2011.

READ FULL STORY

'Real Housewives' star Teresa Giudice pleads guilty to fraud

Real Housewives of New Jersey star Teresa Giudice has pleaded guilty to four counts of fraud.

In a statement given to People by her lawyer, the mother of four said, “Today I took a responsibility for a series of mistakes I made several years ago.”

Teresa and her husband, Joe, who was with her in the U.S. District Court in Newark, New Jersey, originally pleaded not guilty to the charges in November. The couple had requested to have two separate trials, but both pleaded guilty to the counts Tuesday, including conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and three counts of bankruptcy fraud.

“I am heartbroken that this is affecting my family. Especially my four young daughters, who mean more to me than anything in the world,” Teresa said in the statement. “I have said throughout that I respect the legal process and thus, I intend to address the court directly at sentencing. I will describe the choices I made, continue to take responsibility for my decision, and express my remorse to Judge Salas and the public.”

Teresa will be sentenced on July 8 and could reportedly spend up to two years in federal prison. Joe is likely to serve between 37 and 46 months.

Chris Brown told to return to rehab for two months

A California judge ordered Chris Brown to remain in an anger-management rehab program and told the pop singer to return to court in two months.

On Friday, Superior Court Judge James Brandlin scheduled Brown’s next hearing for April 23. That would come after what’s expected to be a brief assault trial in Washington, D.C., earlier that month.

Prosecutors have asked that Brown be sent to jail for violating probation with his October arrest in the district. In that incident, Brown and his bodyguard are accused of punching a man and breaking his nose outside a hotel. Brown is on probation for his 2009 assault of then-girlfriend Rihanna.

But Brown’s attorneys have asked the judge to await the outcome of the Washington, D.C., case before hearing evidence on whether Brown should go to jail.

YouTube ordered to take down anti-Muslim film

A U.S. appeals court ordered YouTube on Wednesday to take down an anti-Muslim film that sparked violent riots in parts of the Middle East and death threats to the actors.

The decision by a divided three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco reinstated a lawsuit filed against YouTube by an actress who appeared briefly in the 2012 video that led to rioting and deaths because of its negative portrayal of the Prophet Muhammad.

YouTube resisted calls by President Barack Obama and other world leaders to take down the video, arguing that to do so amounted to unwarranted government censorship and would violate the Google-owned company’s free speech protections. Besides, the company argued that the filmmakers and not the actors of Innocence of Muslims owned the copyright and only they could remove it from YouTube.

And typically, that’s the case with the vast majority of clips posted on YouTube — and Hollywood in general — that don’t violate decency laws and policies. But the 9th Circuit said Wednesday that this case was far from typical and that the actress, Cindy Lee Garcia, retained a copyright claim that YouTube must respect. That’s because she believed she was acting in a different production than the one that ultimately appeared online.

“Had Ms. Garcia known the true nature of the propaganda film the producers were planning, she would never had agreed to appear in the movie,” said Cris Armenta, Garcia’s attorney.

Google argues that the actress had no claim to the film because filmmaker Mark Basseley Youssef wrote the dialogue, managed the entire production and dubbed over Garcia’s dialogue during postproduction editing.

Writing for the court, Chief Judge Alex Kozinski said the ruling was not a blanket order giving copyright protection to every actor, but that in this case, Garcia’s performance was worthy of copyright protection.

“We need not and do not decide whether every actor has a copyright in his performance within a movie,” the judge wrote. “It suffices for now to hold that, while the matter is fairly debatable, Garcia is likely to prevail.”

Judge N. Randy Smith dissented, arguing that Garcia’s five-second appearance gave her no ownership claims.

“Her brief appearance in the film, even if a valuable contribution to the film, does not make her an author,” Smith wrote. “Indeed, it is difficult to understand how she can be considered an ‘inventive or master mind’ of her performance under these facts.”

Youssef, the filmmaker, was sentenced to 21 months in prison for check fraud in 2010 and barred from accessing the Internet without court approval. He was returned to prison in 2012 for violating terms of his probation and was released on probation in September 2013.

Garcia was paid $500 to appear for five seconds in a film she was told was called Desert Warrior that she thought had nothing to do with religion or radical Islam. When the clip was released, her lines were dubbed to have her character asking Muhammad if he was a child molester.

“This is a troubling case,” Kozinski wrote. “Garcia was duped into providing an artistic performance that was used in a way she never could have foreseen. Her unwitting and unwilling inclusion in Innocence of Muslims led to serious threats against her life. It’s disappointing, though perhaps not surprising, that Garcia needed to sue in order to protect herself and her rights.”

For Google, the ruling represents a nettlesome issue if allowed to stand. The company fears that bit players and extras appearing in popular clips will now be emboldened to send takedown notices to YouTube unless settlements can be reached with the filmmakers.

Google Inc., which has removed the clip, said it will appeal the decision to a special 11-judge panel of the appeals court. The next move after that would be to ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review the case.

“We strongly disagree with this ruling and will fight it,” said Google spokeswoman Abbi Tatton.

Lisa Kudrow ordered to pay ex-manager $1.6M

A California jury has ordered Lisa Kudrow to pay her former manager $1.6 million in residuals from her work on Friends.

The Los Angeles County Superior Court jury returned its verdict Tuesday in a lawsuit filed by Scott Howard. He claimed he had an oral agreement with the actress and was owed a percentage of her earnings on the hit NBC sitcom.

Kudrow contended during the trial that she had already paid Howard more than $11 million before they parted ways in 2007.

City News Service says testimony during the trial indicated that Kudrow was earning more than $1 million per episode by the end of the show’s run. Kudrow starred on Friends from 1994 to 2004.

Howard worked with Kudrow for 16 years, beginning in 1991.

Justin Bieber's security guard arrested

A security guard for Justin Bieber admitted to taking a camera from a photographer but told officers he wanted only to delete photos taken outside an arcade the singer had visited, according to police documents released Wednesday.

Photographer Jason Winslow was in a parking lot outside the Sandy Springs Funhouse family entertainment complex when security guard Hugo Hesny told him to leave, according to a police report. Winslow continued to shoot photos from farther away. Hesny then chased him, cut him off, opened the door of Winslow’s vehicle, took Winslow’s camera, and drove away, the photographer told police.

Hesny, 32, of Davie, Fla., is charged with robbery by snatch, Sandy Springs police Capt. Steve Rose said. He is scheduled to appear in court Thursday in Atlanta.

An attorney for Hesny, Elias Hilal of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he hasn’t had an opportunity to review the police reports. Hilal said he was planning to fly to Georgia on Wednesday afternoon to meet with Hesny.

A representative for Bieber did not immediately return an email seeking comment Wednesday.

Bieber was not outside and was not part of the argument, police said. READ FULL STORY

As I Lay Dying singer admits seeking wife's murder

The lead singer of Grammy-nominated metal band As I Lay Dying has pleaded guilty to trying to hire someone to kill his estranged wife.

Timothy Lambesis pleaded guilty to one count of solicitation of murder Tuesday in Vista Superior Court, near San Diego. He remains free on bond until his sentencing, which is set for May 2.

Prosecutors say the 32-year-old singer was recorded telling an undercover agent that he wanted his wife killed. He allegedly told a man at his gym that she was making it difficult for him to see their children and impossible to complete their divorce.

As I Lay Dying formed in San Diego in 2000 and has released six albums, including 2007’s “An Ocean Between Us,” which reached No. 8 on Billboard‘s charts.

Amanda Bynes avoids jail time in DUI case

Amanda Bynes is avoiding jail time after pleading no contest in her DUI case, People reports.

The 27-year-old former Nickelodeon star faces DUI charges dating back to April 2012. According to her attorney, Bynes completed inpatient treatment in December. Instead of jail time, Bynes got three years’ probation. She will also have to pay various fines, and will be mandated to attend an alcohol education course for a period of three months.

Sam Worthington arrested for alleged assault

Police say actor Sam Worthington has been arrested in New York City for punching a photographer after the man kicked Worthington’s girlfriend in the shin.

The 37-year-old Avatar actor was arrested on an assault charge following the incident at about 5:30 p.m. Sunday in Greenwich Village.

The Australian actor was released on a desk appearance ticket and is due back in court on Feb. 26. Police did not say what caused the scuffle. READ FULL STORY

'SNL' alum Chris Kattan arrested on suspicion of DUI

Authorities say former Saturday Night Live star Chris Kattan has been arrested on suspicion of drunken driving after his Mercedes struck a Department of Transportation vehicle on a Southern California freeway.

The California Highway Patrol says the Mercedes was seen weaving in and out of lanes shortly before 2 a.m. Monday on the 101 Freeway in Los Angeles.

The CHP says Kattan drove into a DOT vehicle that belonged to a crew conducting maintenance on a guardrail. No injuries are reported. READ FULL STORY

Latest Videos

Advertisement

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP