News Briefs TV, movie and music news

Tag: Legal (1-10 of 346)

Toronto court withdraws Justin Bieber assault charge

Justin Bieber was charged with assault in January after allegedly attacking a limo driver in Toronto, but the Ontario Court of Justice withdrew the charge Monday when Bieber appeared in court with lawyer Brian H. Greenspan.

“We welcome the decision of the office of the Crown Attorney to withdraw the charge, having reached the conclusion that there was no reasonable prospect of conviction,” Greenspan said in a statement. “We have always maintained Bieber’s innocence.”
READ FULL STORY

Deadmau5 'will not be bullied' by Disney over mouse ears trademark

Deadmau5 has become known known for wearing what he calls a mau5head (pronounced “mousehead”) to each show, but now, Disney is claiming it bears too much resemblance to Mickey Mouse.

Last year, the DJ applied to get the headgear trademarked with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and Disney is now opposing the application.

The mau5head, which the DJ has used in merchandise and on stage for years, is a registered trademark in nearly 30 countries, including the United Kingdom and Japan. Given his long history with the image, Deadmau5’s attorney Dina LaPolt questioned Disney’s motives in a statement. “Given that the mau5head and other identifying deadmau5 trademarks have been used in the U.S. and around the world for almost a decade, we wonder why Disney is only now coming after deadmau5,” LaPolt said. “Our client will not be bullied by Disney and is prepared to fight to protect his rights to his property.”

READ FULL STORY

Justin Bieber arrested, charged with assault in Ontario

On Aug. 29, Justin Bieber was allegedly involved in an altercation in Ontario that ended in the pop star’s arrest.

According to Ontario Provincial Police, officers responded to a collision between a minivan and an ATV and later found the two drivers got in a physical altercation. The police’s statement does not make clear whether Bieber was driving the minivan or the ATV, but it specifies that he was charged with dangerous driving and assault.
READ FULL STORY

Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus' VMA date, turns himself in to Oregon police

Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus’ date to Sunday’s MTV Video Music Awards, gained attention after the awards show when it became known that there was a warrant for his arrest in Oregon. Helt was wanted for a probation violation. But according to the Associated Press, Helt recently turned himself in at the Polk County Jail in Dallas, Oregon, and then posted $2,500 bail.

Helt’s probation carried over from an old case, where he had pleaded guilty to misdemeanor criminal mischief and criminal trespass. The arrest warrant for his probation violation was issued in November 2011.

Helt is reportedly expected to appear in court in about two weeks.

'Sister Wives' family wins case as polygamy ban ruled unconstitutional

Kody Brown and his four wives are best known for starring on TLC’s Sister Wives, but the family has also been battling a long-standing legal case. Yesterday, the Browns’ attorney, Jonathan Turley, announced that the final decision of United States District Court Judge Clarke Waddoups came down in favor of the Brown family.

As Turley wrote on his blog, “Previously, Judge Waddoups handed down an historic ruling striking down key portions of the Utah polygamy law as unconstitutional. Only one count remained: the Section 1983 claim that state officials (notably prosecutor Jeffrey R. Buhman) violated the constitutional rights of the Brown family in years of criminal investigation and public accusations. He has now ruled for the Browns in what is now a clear sweep on all counts.” READ FULL STORY

Judge rules that Bryan Singer's original accuser can drop lawsuit

A federal judged in Hawaii ruled on Wednesday, Aug. 28 that Michael Egan III can drop his lawsuit against director Bryan Singer. In the ruling, the judge also stated that Egan’s case would be dismissed without prejudice, allowing Egan to refile in the future.

As the AP originally reported, Egan requested to dismiss the lawsuit due to his inability to find a new lawyer to represent him. An attorney advising Egan reportedly told the AP that Egan approved of the ruling and “got everything he wanted.” READ FULL STORY

Ray J enters not guilty plea to charges of sexual battery

Ray J, whose full name is William Ray Norwood, has pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor charges of sexual battery, vandalism, battery on a police officer, and resisting a peace officer.

According to the Associated Press, Norwood entered the not guilty plea on Tuesday in regards to his arrest on May 30 after a woman claimed he groped her at the bar of the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. According to the police, Norwood then resisted arrest, using his feet to shatter a patrol car window.

Norwood’s preliminary court hearing is scheduled for Aug. 28. His reps did not immediately respond for comment.

'Midnight Rider' producer enters not guilty plea in Sarah Jones case

Sarah-Jones.jpg

Midnight Rider executive producer Jay Sedrish has entered a plea of not guilty to the charges of criminal trespass and involuntary manslaughter in the case of Sarah Jones’ death. Jones, a 27-year-old camera assistant, was struck by a train and killed during filming of the Gregg Allman biopic in February.

Sedrish’s plea comes one month after Midnight Rider filmmakers Randall Miller and Jody Savin entered a plea of not guilty after turning themselves in to police. Sedrish also waived his right of personal presence at an arraignment in Wayne County, Ga. where the filming took place. Sedrish’s legal team cited his residence in California as reason not to appear at an arraignment.

Lionsgate granted restraining order after 'Expendables 3' leak

The Expendables 3 doesn’t arrive in theaters until August 15, but some websites have been streaming leaked versions of the film. Lionsgate, The Expendables 3‘s distributor, filed a lawsuit July 31 and was granted a temporary restraining order against the offending sites Monday.

READ FULL STORY

Bryan Singer dismissed from sex abuse charges

On Friday, John Doe 117 dismissed his sex abuse suit against Bryan Singer.

In the lawsuit, John Doe 117 had originally claimed that Singer and Broadway production exec Gary Goddard had sexually abused him. Singer had filed a motion to dismiss the case in July, but this latest dismissal came about before that motion was even heard.

The case was dismissed with prejudice, so in the future, the plaintiff will not be able to file new cases against Singer with the same allegations.

As for Goddard, John Doe 117’s lawyers filed a brief opposing his motion to dismiss. His case remains active.

John Doe 117’s attorney, Jeff Herman, issued the following statement: “Upon further review of the facts and circumstances, my client does not want to pursue those claims.” Marty Singer, attorney for Bryan Singer, told EW, “We are pleased the case was dismissed.” Goddard’s attorney did not immediately reply to request for comment.

Buzzfeed has a copy of Singer’s dismissal and the memo in opposition to Goddard’s motion to dismiss.

Latest Videos

Advertisement

From Our Partners

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP