News Briefs TV, movie and music news

Tag: Lawsuits (81-90 of 519)

Apple targeted in antitrust lawsuit

The U.S. government has filed an antitrust lawsuit in New York against Apple Inc. and various major book publishers. The lawsuit was filed Wednesday in federal court in Manhattan. It claims the publishers conspired with Apple to raise retail electronic-book prices to limit competition.

The lawsuit said the effort was a response to the success Amazon had in selling e-books for just under $10.

The lawsuit said the alleged conspiracy came as Apple was preparing to launch its electronic tablet. It said the alleged conspiracy called for Apple to be guaranteed a 30 percent commission on each e-book it sold.

Apple did not immediately respond to a comment request.

Spider-Man stuntman readying (another) 'Turn Off the Dark' lawsuit

A stuntman who claims he suffered a concussion, whiplash and two holes in his knees while performing as the comic book hero in Broadway’s Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark has asked producers to turn over any relevant information as he weighs pursuing a negligence lawsuit.

The stuntman, Richard Kobak, claims in a series of papers filed earlier this year in state Supreme Court that he suffered the leg injuries in 2010 while filling in for another injured stuntman at the most expensive show in Broadway history. He alleges that the rigging he used for the show’s aerial acrobatics wasn’t recalibrated for him and, as a result, he made 70 hard landings on stage during performances and rehearsals. He says the hard landings created a 1.4-millimeter hole in his right knee and a 9-millimeter hole in his left knee. He also alleges that a computer program controlling one of his jumps from a balcony sent him flying into a wall on April 5, 2011. He says he suffered two herniated discs, whiplash and a concussion. READ FULL STORY

Transgendered Miss Canada contestant threatens legal action against Miss Universe Organization

Less than two weeks ago, Miss Canada Universe contestant Jenna Talackova went public with her dismissal from the pageant. The Miss Universe Organization refused to allow Talackova to compete because she was not “naturally born” a woman. Talackova enlisted high-profile lawyer Gloria Allred along with a top Canadian lawyer to join her in fighting for the right to compete at the pageant, which runs May 17 to 19.

Yesterday, the organization tentatively reversed their position, issuing this statement: “The Miss Universe Organization will allow Jenna Talackova to compete in the 2012 Miss Universe Canada pageant provided she meets the legal gender recognition requirements of Canada, and the standards established by other international competitions.”

Talackova’s fate as a contestant remains in question as she and Allred have taken issue with the organization’s careful wording. Now they are demanding a definitive answer as to her competitive status and calling for organization head Donald Trump “to step up and be a leader in the fight against discrimination.”

See a video of Talackova and Allred’s full statements, plus Trump’s response, below.

READ FULL STORY

Playwright John Patrick Shanley faces $5 million sex lawsuit

EW has confirmed that actress Amanda Jencsik, a former lover of John Patrick Shanley (Moonstruck, Doubt) has filed a lawsuit against the Oscar- and Pulitzer-winning writer. Per the New York Post, the $5 million suit alleges Shanley forced her to participate in violent sex, including choking and wrapping a belt around her neck during her intercourse. Jencsik also alleges Shanley sodomized her on multiple occasions and would ask her during intercourse, “Do you feel like I’m raping you?”

Jencsik claims she suffered severe psychological distress and physical injuries (including a bowel obstruction) as a result of the four-month relationship, which began via Facebook in October 2009. She says she never alerted the police about Shanley “due to her mental state” and Shanley’s “Svengali-like effect on her.”

Through his attorney Peter Parcher, Shanley told EW, “I dated Amanda Jencsik several times. Our relationship was totally consensual. It ended some time ago. We never exchanged a harsh word. I am distressed and surprised to see her being exploited this way. I wish her well.”

Read more:
Spike Lee settles with elderly couple over misguided George Zimmerman tweet
Paula Deen lawsuit alleges racism, sexual harassment, and violence — UPDATE
Lindsay Lohan sued by pedestrian allegedly hit by her car

Spike Lee settles with elderly couple over misguided George Zimmerman tweet

An elderly couple has reached a settlement with Spike Lee after the pair said they had to leave their Florida home after the director help spread a Twitter posting listing their address as that of the man who shot an unarmed teen.

The couple’s attorney, Matt Morgan, announced the settlement Thursday. Morgan says Lee called them to apologize for retweeting their address. Specifics of the settlement weren’t disclosed. READ FULL STORY

Mario Batali settles tip lawsuit for $5.25 million

Celebrity chef Mario Batali and his business partner have agreed to pay $5.25 million to settle a lawsuit that alleged they confiscated a portion of their restaurant workers’ tips. According to court papers filed in Manhattan federal court, the settlement may compensate as many as 1,100 waiters, captains, and other staffers. The settlement must still be approved by a judge.

The lawsuit against Batali and Joseph Bastianich was filed in 2010. It claimed their restaurants had a policy of deducting 4 to 5 percent from the tip pool at the end of each night. Lawyers for both sides said the matter was resolved to the satisfaction of all parties. Batali’s Manhattan restaurants include Babbo, Bar Jamon, and Del Posto.

Man sues Steven Seagal over 'staged' arrest

Actor Steven Seagal and the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office are being sued over a 2011 arrest that a Phoenix-area man says was staged for a reality TV show. Jesus Llovera says Seagal and deputies unlawfully raided his home because they thought Llovera was raising fighting roosters. Llovera says the birds on his property were for show and not for fighting. The civil suit asks for a jury to determine unspecified monetary damages.

The Arizona Republic reports the Sheriff’s Office was participating in the creation of a reality show, Steven Seagal: Lawman, that followed Seagal’s exploits as a deputized officer. The Sheriff’s Office insists in court documents that the use of a tank, a bomb robot and 40 deputies was part of its normal course of duties.

Read more:
Steven Seagal could be sued for killing a puppy
The ‘Cops’ Effect
Steven Seagal going back on patrol! A&E’s ‘Lawman’ to resume production in Phoenix — EXCLUSIVE

Paula Deen lawsuit alleges racism, sexual harassment, and violence -- UPDATE

It’s been a tough year for Paula Deen so far. After coming clean about her battle with Type 2 Diabetes and being slammed by Anthony Bourdain for her “dangerous cooking,” the comfort-food connoisseur has been hit with a lawsuit that claims her workplace was home to racist behavior and rampant sexual harassment, infliction of emotional distress, and assault. According to papers obtained by Radar, the plaintiff Lisa Jackson served as the general manager of Bubba’s Oyster House, co-owned by Deen and her brother Earl “Bubba” Hiers, for five years. She described Hiers’ behavior during that period as “physically threatening and universally humiliating.” UPDATE: Read a comment from Deen’s camp below.

READ FULL STORY

James Murdoch resigns from News International

James Murdoch is stepping down as executive chairman of News Corp.’s U.K. newspaper arm, the company said Wednesday. News Corp. said James, the son of 80-year-old media scion Rupert Murdoch, has relinquished his position at News International to focus on the company’s international TV business. He will remain deputy chief operating officer of News Corp.

James and his role at News International have come under scrutiny amid Britain’s expanding phone-hacking scandal at Murdoch-owned titles. The younger Murdoch has said he was unaware of any indication that hacking was rife at the company’s News of the World tabloid, a claim disputed by former colleagues. READ FULL STORY

Charlie Sheen at the center of more legal trouble

A former Washington, D.C., police commander has threatened to file a whistleblower lawsuit after his decision to provide an escort for Charlie Sheen allegedly resulted in his demotion. According to Reuters, DCPD officer Hilton Burton claims he was transferred after admitting the kind of celebrity escorts he provided for Sheen were standard operating procedure.

Last April, Sheen arrived in D.C. for a “Violent Torpedo of Truth” booking. At the time, Burton was commander of the special operations division, which customarily provides escorts for visiting dignitaries. During the ride they provided for Sheen from Dulles International Airport to Washington’s Constitution Hall, Sheen reportedly posted pictures of the police car’s speedometer reaching 80 MPH and tweeted, “n car with Police escort in front and rear! driving like someone’s about to deliver a baby! Cop car lights #Spinning!”

The incident garnered much publicity because of the tweets and Sheen’s ongoing battle with CBS and Two and a Half Men creator Chuck Lorre. Four months later, Burton was transferred to the DCPD’s medical services branch and demoted two ranks — he claims because Police Chief Cathy Lanier didn’t like the media attention.

Lanier responded in a statement Thursday that, after “a review of command decisions, including several critical incidents,” and based on the recommendation of a supervisor, Burton was transferred. Burton will sue for his former rank to be restored, plus back pay, benefits, and damages.

Read more:
Charlie Sheen apologizes for ‘Ashton sucks’ comments, holds his line on ‘Two and a Half Men’
Charlie Sheen finally cracks: ‘I’m tired of pretending Ashton doesn’t suck’ — VIDEO
FX defends Charlie Sheen gamble: ‘I believe in redemption’

Latest Videos

Advertisement

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP