News Briefs TV, movie and music news

Tag: Lawsuits (31-40 of 520)

Director Zhang Yimou under investigation for violating China's one-child policy

Authorities are investigating whether one of China’s top film directors fathered seven children in violation of the country’s strict family planning laws, state media and a local official said Thursday.

Reports circulated online this week that Zhang Yimou, director of The Flowers of War starring Christian Bale and also known as the architect of the opening ceremony for the Beijing Olympics, has seven children from his two marriages and from relationships with two other women.

“We are trying to confirm the online rumors,” said a woman at the general office of Wuxi city’s family planning committee, a department under the municipal government. The woman, who declined to identify herself as is customary among Chinese officials, said she couldn’t reveal any other information until authorities had finished investigating.

Zhang, 61, reportedly could face a fine of up to 160 million yuan ($26 million), said the People’s Daily newspaper, the Communist Party mouthpiece. People caught breaking China’s family planning policy must pay a “social compensation fee” based on their annual income. READ FULL STORY

Former defender of Michael Jackson reverses his story, now claims sexual abuse

A choreographer and television personality who was a key witness in Michael Jackson’s successful defense against child molestation charges is seeking permission to file a claim against the singer’s estate alleging the pop superstar sexually abused him as a child, court records and an attorney said.

Wade Robson was abused by Jackson during a seven-year period, the choreographer’s attorney, Henry Gradstein, wrote in a statement Wednesday. The attorney said Robson, 30, suffered a breakdown last year but has not stated how much his client is seeking to recoup from Jackson’s estate if a judge permits him to pursue his abuse allegations.

Details on Robson’s accusations were filed under seal. READ FULL STORY

'Girls Gone Wild' founder convicted, could get five-year prison sentence

Girls Gone Wild founder Joe Francis was found guilty Monday of misdemeanor counts of assault and false imprisonment stemming from a dispute with three women after a night out at a Hollywood club in 2011.

Los Angeles City Attorney Carmen Trutanich said in a statement that after a two-week trial, a jury convicted the 40-year-old Francis of three counts of false imprisonment, one count of assault causing great bodily injury and one count of dissuading a witness. He faces a maximum of five years in prison. A hearing to schedule his sentencing was set for Wednesday. READ FULL STORY

Defense makes opening statement in Michael Jackson wrongful-death lawsuit

An attorney for concert giant AEG Live says the company could not have known while promoting comeback concerts that Michael Jackson was using an anesthetic that killed him.

Lawyer Marvin S. Putnam addressed jurors on Monday in opening statements of the wrongful death lawsuit filed by Jackson’s mother against AEG.

He says the company didn’t have access to information shared between Jackson and his doctors.

Putnam’s remarks came after Katherine Jackson’s attorney played a song Jackson recorded for his children and detailed the singer’s struggles with addiction throughout his life.

Her lawsuit accuses AEG of failing to properly investigate the doctor who cared for Jackson and was later convicted of causing Jackson’s death with a fatal dose of the anesthetic propofol.

Putnam called Jackson an addict and said the company shouldn’t be held responsible for his death.

Read more:
Conrad Murray gives prison interview
Judge opens the door for Michael Jackson lawsuit to go to trial
Michael Jackson’s 16-year-old son joins ‘Entertainment Tonight’ — VIDEO

Wash. jury rejects claim of actress who sued IMDb

A federal jury in Seattle on Thursday rejected a claim brought by a little-known actress who first lied about how old she was on the popular Internet Movie Database, then sued the company when it published her true age.

Huong Hoang goes by the stage name Junie Hoang and has appeared in such films as “Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver” and “Hoodrats 2: Hoodrat Warriors.”
READ FULL STORY

Elmo puppeteer sued again for sexual abuse

A puppeteer who was the voice of Elmo on Sesame Street is being sued for the fifth time, accused of sexually abusing a teenage boy.

In a federal lawsuit filed in New York on Tuesday, 25-year-old Kevin Kiadii says he was 16 when he met Kevin Clash during an online chat.

Kiadii attorney Jeff Herman says Clash sent a limousine to pick up the teen in Brooklyn and take him to his Manhattan apartment for sex.

Herman represents four other people who filed similar lawsuits. He acknowledges his clients were compliant but says the 52-year-old puppeteer took advantage of them by playing father to them.

Clash resigned from Sesame Street in November. He has denied any wrongdoing. His lawyer hasn’t responded to a call for comment on the latest lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages.

Read more:
Fourth accuser steps forward against Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash
Elmo accuser recants statement against puppeteer
Elmo puppeteer accused of underage relationship

Celeb photographer Dave LaChapelle sued for choking gallery director

Celebrity photographer David LaChapelle has been sued for $1 million by a Montana gallery director who claims he beat and choked him.

According to the lawsuit, the Vanity Fair and Rolling Stone photographer attacked James Parmenter at a Manhattan apartment in March 2012.

The suit was filed Wednesday in Manhattan Supreme Court.

It says Parmenter was choked “to the point of unconsciousness.”

The New York Post reports that LaChapelle’s representative denied the allegations.

Paramenter has exhibited LaChapelle’s works at his Bigfork Collaborations gallery where his prints go for more than $100,000 each.

LaChapelle has taken portraits of Elizabeth Taylor, Madonna and other celebrities.

Read more:
Dave LaChapelle directs new Florence + the Machine video

Judge opens the door for Michael Jackson lawsuit to go to trial

A jury should decide whether the promoter of Michael Jackson’s final concerts negligently hired and supervised the physician convicted of causing the singer’s death, a judge tentatively ruled Monday.

If the ruling stands, it will allow the case by Jackson’s mother, Katherine, to go forward and present the theory that concert giant AEG Live controlled the physician who gave the superstar a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol.

Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos’ tentative ruling however eliminates some of Katherine Jackson’s claims and an attorney for AEG predicted the company would win at trial. READ FULL STORY

Lindsay Lohan loses Pitbull 'Give Me Everything' lawsuit

Looks like she didn’t have this one locked up: Yesterday, a U.S. District Court judge in New York dismissed a lawsuit that troubled actress Lindsay Lohan had brought against musicians Pitbull, Ne-Yo, and Afrojack over their 2011 song “Give Me Everything.”

Lohan claimed that the song’s lyrics were “destined to do irreparable harm” to her. Specifically, she took issue with this line, which references the time she spent in jail: “Hustlers move aside, so I’m tiptoein’, to keep flowin’ / I got it locked up like Lindsay Lohan.” READ FULL STORY

Mike Tyson sues Live Nation firm

Mike Tyson sued a financial services firm owned by Live Nation Entertainment on Wednesday, claiming one of its advisers embezzled more than $300,000 from the former heavyweight champ and cost him millions more in lost earnings.

The lawsuit claims that Live Nation and its company SFX Financial Advisory Management Enterprises haven’t given the boxer and his wife, Lakiha, a full accounting of their losses. The company returned some of the embezzled money but wanted the Tysons to sign a nondisclosure agreement, which they refused, the suit states.

The lawsuit seeks more than $5 million in damages for breach of fiduciary duty, negligent hiring, unjust enrichment and other claims.

A spokeswoman for Live Nation Entertainment Inc. said the company had not been served with the lawsuit and could not comment on it. READ FULL STORY

Latest Videos

Advertisement

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP