News Briefs TV, movie and music news

Tag: Lawsuits (91-100 of 515)

Murdoch to pay Jude Law, 36 others over illegal hacking

Rupert Murdoch’s media empire apologized and agreed to cash payouts Thursday to 37 people — including a movie star, a soccer player, a top British politician and the son of a serial killer — who were harassed and phone-hacked by his tabloid press.

The four — Jude Law, Ashley Cole, John Prescott and Chris Shipman — were among three dozen victims who received financial damages from Murdoch’s British newspaper company for illegal eavesdropping and other intrusions, including email snooping.

Lawyers for the claimants said the settlements vindicated their accusation that senior Murdoch executives had long known about the scale of illegal phone hacking and had tried to cover it up. READ FULL STORY

Rupert Murdoch settles with Jude Law and other celebs over phone hacking

Rupert Murdoch’s British newspaper company on Thursday agreed to pay damages to 36 high-profile victims of tabloid phone hacking, including actor Jude Law, soccer player Ashley Cole, and former British deputy prime minister John Prescott.
In the 15 settlements whose financial terms were made public, amounts generally ran into the tens of thousands of pounds (dollars) — although Law received 130,000 pounds (about $200,000) to settle claims against the now-shuttered News of the World tabloid and its sister paper, The Sun. READ FULL STORY

Lindsay Lohan cited for $94,000 in unpaid taxes

Lindsay Lohan is facing a lien for nearly $94,000 that the federal government claims she owes in unpaid income taxes. According to the lien filed in Los Angeles County last Thursday, Lohan has an unpaid balance of $93,701.57 from the 2009 tax year.

Lohan’s rep Steve Honig responded to EW’s request for comment with the following statement: “Lindsay’s personal finances are her business and no one else’s.”

Lindsay Lohan sued by paparazzo

Lindsay Lohan and her chauffeur, Paola Demara, have been sued by a paparazzo named Grigor Balyan who claims that, on Jan. 10, 2010, he was injured when the actress’ vehicle ran over him outside of a club in Hollywood as he was trying to take pictures of the troubled star.

According to Balyan’s suit, filed yesterday in Los Angeles Superior Court, “Defendants, each of them, so negligently, carelessly, and recklessly operated, maintained, repaired, owned, and controlled their automobile so as to cause an accident which resulted in personal injuries and property damage to Plaintiff.”

Inside the court documents obtained by EW, the suit is marked as an “unlimited civil case,” which means that the damages Balyan is seeking exceed $25,000. He is suing Lohan for personal injury, property damage, and general negligence.

Court docs reveal name of actress suing IMDb for age discrimination

The actress who is suing Amazon and its subsidiary the Internet Movie Database (IMDb) for exposing her age revealed her name in an amended court filing on Friday. EW has confirmed that 40-year-old Huong Hoang of Texas is the woman behind the much-ballyhooed lawsuit, which was originally filed last October. Hoang, who has adopted the Americanized stage name Junie Hoang, states in the claim that her Asian name has led to industry discrimination.

Hoang’s IMDb page shows that the actress has regularly appeared in small-budget films throughout the last decade, but she claims that she was driven to sue when the subscription-based IMDbPro took her personal information from a credit card and refused to take it down. Hoang subscribed to IMDbPro to increase her exposure, and noticed that her legal date of birth had been added to her public profile shortly after. This, according to Hoang’s filing, has led to a “substantial decrease in acting credits, employment opportunities and earnings.”

Read more:
IMDb age discrimination suit could cause actress to be ‘blacklisted,’ says SAG lawyer
Lawyers on IMDb suit: ‘It’s going to be an uphill fight’
Woman sues IMDb for revealing her age

Judge awards Paul Haggis and his 'Crash' team $12 million in damages

Six years after Crash won the Oscar for Best Picture, director Paul Haggis finally earned a hard-fought legal victory over his film’s spoils. Haggis, costar Brendan Fraser, producer Mark Harris, and co-writer Bobby Moresco were awarded nearly $12 million in damages when a Los Angeles Superior Court judge ruled that Crash financier Bob Yari had breached his contract with “inappropriate accounting procedures,” “bogus contractual interpretations,” and “diverting funds to third parties” in order to avoid fulfilling his agreement.

'Teen Mom' Amber Portwood in trouble again

It won’t be a very happy holidays for Teen Mom star Amber Portwood, who was arrested Monday in Indiana after a judge issued a warrant for her arrest for probation violation.

Portwood, who was previously arrested on felony domestic-battery charges, is expected to spend the holidays behind bars, according to reports. The 21-year-old was given a suspended two-year jail sentence but was accused last month of battery and public intoxication following a fight in a local restaurant and reportedly has failed to complete other terms of her probation. She is scheduled to appear in court Jan. 13.

Hulk Hogan sues ex for defamation

Wrestler Hulk Hogan is suing his ex-wife, claiming she lied and defamed him in her new book. The St. Petersburg Times reports that Hogan — whose real name is Terry Bollea — filed the lawsuit Thursday in Clearwater, Fla. The 18-page lawsuit claims Linda Bollea wrote Wrestling the Hulk — My Life Against the Ropes to help revive her career. She wrote that her husband abused her during their marriage and had homosexual encounters.

Terry Bollea says the claims have harmed his reputation. He’s demanding a jury trial and a halt to his ex-wife’s comments. He says she has also made claims during promotional interviews on national television. Linda Bollea received more than 70 percent of the couple’s assets in their recent divorce settlement.

Erin Andrews files $10 million lawsuit against stalker, hotel

ESPN reporter and Dancing With the Stars contestant Erin Andrews filed a fresh $10 million lawsuit against Marriott and the Chicago man who stalked and filmed her naked in 2008, according to Reuters. Michael David Barrett is serving a 30-month sentence for following Andrews to several hotels and targeting her with high-tech video surveillance cameras that he attached to her room’s peephole. Andrews is asking for a $6 million judgment against Marriott, claiming that hotel employees revealed to Barrett which room she was staying in and then honored his request for an adjacent room. She is suing Barrett for another $4 million for invasion of privacy, negligence, and emotional distress. The lawsuit was previously filed last year, but was refreshed to ensure the statute of limitations did not expire.

Restraining order granted against Terrence Howard

Terrence Howard was ordered Tuesday to stay 100 yards away from his estranged wife after she claimed the Oscar-nominated actor repeatedly threatened and hit her during their marriage.

The star denies the allegations. READ FULL STORY

Latest Videos

Advertisement

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP