News Briefs TV, movie and music news

Tag: Industry News (71-80 of 236)

'American Idol' creator Simon Fuller makes bid for CKX

Reuters reports that Idol creator Simon Fuller and an investor group made a $600 million takeover bid for CKX Inc., the corporation that owns the rights to the Idol television brand, among other intellectual properties. CKX’s founder Robert Sillerman had resigned as chief executive and chairman on May 7.

'Hurt Locker' producers file piracy lawsuit

Variety is reporting that the producers of the Academy Award-winning The Hurt Locker have filed a copyright infringement suit against potentially 5,000 people who may have illegally downloaded the movie through P2P networks. The suit was filed in the U.S. District Court in Washington and is a first step in finding the names of the people who may have downloaded the film.

Disney will not sell Miramax back to the Weinsteins

According to the Associated Press, the Walt Disney Co. has backed out of a plan to sell its struggling Miramax division to Ron Burkle. Burkle had partnered on the deal with Harvey and Bob Weinstein, the original founders of Miramax, who left in 2005 to start their own independent studio, the Weinstein Company. Apparently, negotiations faltered over various issues pertaining to how the brothers would manage both Miramax and Weinstein Co.

The Miramax division was mostly shuttered earlier this year, but the studio still has a profitable back catalogue of iconic films, including Pulp Fiction, The English Patient, Clerks, The Piano, and The English Patient. Disney is reportedly considering an offer from financier brothers Tom and Alec Gores.

Bret Michaels update: Test results indicate setback

Bret-Michaels-hospitalImage Credit: Jason Merritt/Getty ImagesRocker Bret Michaels, who has been hospitalized since Thursday following a brain hemorrhage, has suffered a setback in his condition, according to his official website. Tests indicate that, as a side effect of the bleeding in his brain, Michaels is suffering from hyponatremia, an abnormally low level of sodium in the body fluids, which can lead to seizures. Michaels remains in critical but stable condition and is continuing to undergo tests. “With further testing and rehabilitation, [doctors] are hopeful that Bret will gradually improve as the blood surrounding the brain dissolves and is reabsorbed into his system, which can be a very painful recovery and take several weeks to months,” says the latest statement posted to Michaels’ website. “Michaels remains under 24-hour observation in the ICU and is in positive spirits. He is responding well to tests and treatments. Even though today was a minor setback, doctors remain hopeful for a full recovery and plan to release more specific information next Monday.”

Fox sued for 'Chipmunks' millions

The family that owns the rights to Alvin and the Chipmunks has sued 20th Century Fox, claiming that it’s owed “half of all profits” from last year’s hit movie, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, according to The Hollywood Reporter. In a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, Bagdasarian Prods. and writer Janice Karman claim that the studio took substantial portions of a screenplay prepared for the sequel by Karman, the wife of the late creator’s son, without authorization. Separately, the suit alleges that Fox breached an agreement over promotional tie-ins using the Chipmunk characters. The 2009 movie made $442 million at the worldwide box office.

In a statement to the Reporter, Fox said, “the Bagdasarian’s claims are completely without merit. We look forward to resolving our differences and, in the meantime, we are continuing to move forward with the franchise.”

UPDATE: Bret Michaels still in critical condition, according to his official website

Bret-Michaels-hospitalImage Credit: Jason Merritt/Getty ImagesUPDATE (4/25): Bret Michaels’ official website posted a new message on Sunday: “Everyone at Michaels Entertainment would like to thank all fans and friends for their continued thoughts and prayers through this difficult time.

At this point Bret remains in ICU in critical condition. He is under 24 hour doctors’ care and supervision. We are hopeful that further tests will locate the source of the bleeding, which has still not been located. As we all know Bret is a fighter and we are hopeful that once all is complete the slurred speech, blurred vision and dizziness, etc. will be eliminated and all functions will return to normal.

More information will be posted as it becomes available.”

ORIGINAL POST (4/24): Despite reports that claimed his status may have stabilized, rocker Bret Michaels’ official website says that the rocker, who was hospitalized with a brain hemorrhage on Thursday, is still in critical condition. A brief statement on the site says, “There are several incorrect reports on Bret’s condition. Bret remains in critical condition at an undisclosed location. Further tests are being ran and information will be updated in the coming days.”

Michaels was rushed to the hospital on Thursday night and reportedly suffered from a massive subarachnoid hemorrhage. A source told People, “After several CAT scans, MRIs, and an angiogram, [doctors] decided to keep Michaels in the ICU and are running several tests to determine the cause. [It] will be touch and go for the next few days while he is under intense observation.”

This most recent hospital stay comes only 11 days after Michaels underwent an emergency appendectomy in San Antonio, Tex.

Also: Bret Michaels stabilized after suffering brain hemorrhage, according to unconfirmed report

Lindsay Lohan reportedly dropped from next movie

Lindsay Lohan has reportedly been fired from her next film, The Other Side. The film’s director told TMZ, “Our team simply chose to move on from Lindsay and we’ll soon be announcing a replacement.” This comes just days after the star’s father, Michael Lohan, showed up at her house with LA police officers to check on the welfare of Lohan’s 16-year-old sister, Ali. Lindsay Lohan’s manager did not return EW’s requests for comment.

Next James Bond movie postponed indefinitely

The next James Bond sequel, tentatively titled Bond 23, has been put on hold due to MGM’s financial troubles, according to Variety.  EON Productions heads Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli announced Monday that the next Daniel Craig 007 installment was facing a foe as nasty as Dr. No or Scaramanga: cash woes. “Due to the continuing uncertainty surrounding the future of MGM and the failure to close a sale of the studio, we have suspended development on Bond 23 indefinitely,” the pair said in a statement. “We do not know when development will resume and do not have a date for the release of Bond 23.” The project did not yet have a director attached, but a trio of writers had reportedly been working on a script and Craig had informed fans last fall that the film would start shooting late this year. MGM has been in the process of sorting out its future with its debt holders. MGM put itself up for sale in November. The studio’s only release this year, Hot Tub Time Machine, has grossed $42.4 million to date.

Oscar-winning film editor dies

Longtime film editor Dede Allen — who earned Academy Award nominations for her work on Dog Day Afternoon, Reds and Wonder Boys, among others — died Saturday at her Los Angeles home after suffering a stroke, according to The Hollywood Reporter. She was 86. She became the first editor to receive sole credit on a film in 1967 for her work on Bonnie and Clyde, which also won her an Oscar nomination. She also served as head of post-production at Warner Bros. for eight years in the ’90s. Her final project was 2008’s Fireflies in the Garden.

Weinsteins reportedly near deal to buy Miramax back from Disney

According to various press reports, Bob and Harvey Weinstein are closing in on a deal to buy back Miramax. In fact, according to the New York Times, the brothers and their financial backer Ron Burkle have secured an exclusive negotiating window with Disney, during which they’ll try to come to terms.

The Weinsteins founded Miramax in 1979, sold it to Disney in 1993, and left in 2005 to form The Weinstein Company.

The Weinsteins have reportedly offered Disney around $625 million for the studio, but Disney may retain certain titles from Miramax’s library, according to the Wall Street Journal. It’s also not clear yet if the deal would include the studio’s remaining unreleased films and other home-video assets.

A rep for the Weinstein company had no comment. Reps for Disney were not immediately available.

Miramax’s films in the last several years have been critical darlings, including Oscar winners No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood, but none has been a major financial success.

The Weinsteins aren’t the only bidders for the studio, though: Alec and Tom Gores and David Bergstein have also made offers. It’s not clear yet how quickly Disney wants to close the deal.

Latest Videos

Advertisement

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP