News Briefs TV, movie and music news

Tag: Crime (51-60 of 284)

12-year-old charged for Ashton Kutcher prank call

A 12-year-old boy accused of making a prank call that sent police racing to Ashton Kutcher’s home was charged Thursday with making that call and another that falsely reported an emergency at a bank.

Prosecutors said the boy called 911 in October reporting that armed men were inside Kutcher’s Los Angeles home. That call brought out many heavily-armed officers and prompted the actor to leave the set of Two and a Half Men to make sure his home and workers were safe.

A week later, a call reporting an emergency at a bank on Wilshire Boulevard also proved to be a hoax.

The district attorney’s office said Thursday that the boy has been charged with two felony counts of computer intrusion and making fake bomb threats. He was scheduled to be arraigned Friday in juvenile court. READ FULL STORY

Lucy Lawless says trespass ruling 'great victory'

“Xena: Warrior Princess” actor Lucy Lawless says she’s won a “great victory” after a New Zealand judge handed her a modest sentence but declined to order costs sought by oil company Shell for her role in a protest aboard an oil-drilling ship.

Lawless and seven other Greenpeace activists were each ordered Thursday to pay 651 New Zealand dollars ($547) costs to a port company and complete 120 hours of community service after earlier pleading guilty to trespass charges.

Last February, Lawless and six other activists climbed a drilling tower on the Arctic-bound vessel Noble Discoverer to protest oil exploration in the Arctic. Another protester helped from the ground. Lawless spent four days atop the 174-foot (53-meter) tower, camping and blogging about her experiences. The action briefly delayed the ship’s voyage.

Shell Todd Oil Services, which had chartered the ship, sought about 650,000 New Zealand dollars ($545,000) in reparations from the protesters.

Lawyers for the activists contended that amount was excessive. In his ruling, Judge Allan Roberts said the company could pursue its claim through the civil court system.

Shell Todd declined to comment on whether it would pursue civil action. In a statement, the company said it has “always supported the efforts of law enforcement to respond to this incident and to deter such activity in the future.”

Lawless is best known for her title role in “Xena” and more recently for starring in the Starz cable television series “Spartacus.”
READ FULL STORY

Lindsay Lohan in court with new lawyer, gets new trial date

Lindsay Lohan briefly appeared in court Wednesday for the first time in nearly a year and left with a new attorney, new trial date and new judge.

Superior Court Judge Stephanie Sautner shook her head when she saw Lohan seated with her attorney, just months after the judge had warned the Liz and Dick star to grow up and stay out of trouble.

The actress was required to attend the pretrial hearing involving three misdemeanor counts filed after a car crash last summer. Lohan has pleaded not guilty to lying to police, reckless driving, and obstructing officers from performing their duties.

Sautner previously sent her to jail, placed her under house arrest and forced her to perform morgue cleanup duty in another case.

Sautner warned Lohan on Wednesday that she could face jail time for a possible probation violation, even if she is acquitted of the counts filed after her sports car crashed into a dump truck. READ FULL STORY

Emmylou Harris charged with hit-and-run in L.A.

Los Angeles prosecutors have charged country star Emmylou Harris with misdemeanor hit-and-run related to an accident last year.

The Grammy-winning singer was charged Wednesday for failing to exchange information with a driver whose car she hit on a freeway on Oct. 1.

A criminal complaint filed in Beverly Hills did not contain additional details about the accident or how much damage occurred.

A publicist for the 65-year-old singer didn’t immediately return a message seeking comment.

Harris has won a dozen Grammys for her solo work and collaborations with artists such as Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, Alison Krauss and others.

Harris continues to tour and is scheduled to release an album of duets in late February.

'Dazed and Confused' actor arrested in Arizona

Dazed and Confused actor Jason London was arrested in Arizona early Monday morning and charged with assault and disorderly conduct, the Associated Press reports. London allegedly sneezed on a man who then asked him to apologize, but London refused and then hit the man in the face.

After the incident, London took to Twitter to explain his side of the story, writing, “Guys, the TMZ report is a total f***ing lie. I got jumped by three 250 pound bouncers. They knocked me out and beat me for several minutes. I would never say or do the crap they are reporting. Have faith in me. The truth will come out and you will see. Some guy thought I was hitting on his girl and had me jumped. My wife was in the next room, had no idea what even happened. I hate Arizona. Wait till you see the real pictures. I have a right orbital fracture and sinus fracture. The truth will win.”

Read more:
Lindsay Lohan expected in court today to face new charges
Barbara Walters released from hospital, recovering from chicken pox
Ashley Judd and husband Dario Franchitti call it quits

Tom Cruise possibly latest target of fake 911 call

Tom Cruise may be the latest so-called “swatting” victim after police responded to a 911 call of an armed robbery at the actor’s Beverly Hills house on Thursday and found no crime had been committed, authorities said.

Shortly after noon, police received a call reporting a robbery in progress, Sgt. Renato Moreno said. Officers responded to the house, spoke with private security and then conducted a search. Nothing was found.

Cruise and his family weren’t home when the call was made. There were no arrests.

READ FULL STORY

Aurora movie theater, site of 'Dark Knight Rises' shooting, reopens

Aurora, Colo.’s Cinemark movie theater — the site of July’s deadly Dark Knight Rises massacre, during which 12 people were killed and dozens more were wounded — is reopening today, the Associated Press reports. A private ceremony for victims, first responders, and officials is scheduled; the entire complex will open to the public permanently on Friday, Jan. 25. The initial ceremony will include the screening of a movie, though officials have not released that movie’s name.

In August, Aurora invited its citizens to participate in an online survey to help determine the theater’s fate. According to Aurora mayor Steve Hogan — via the AP — residents overwhelmingly supported reopening the theater, an “important venue for Aurora.”

On Jan. 10, a Colorado judge ruled that alleged shooter James Holmes should stand trial for the movie theater massacre. His arraignment is scheduled for March 12.

Read more:
FX president: High-capacity guns are a problem, not TV violence
Colo. shooting suspect: Brief romance, few friends
Obama calls for research on effect of media on gun violence

Coroner releases new report in Natalie Wood's death

A newly released report shows coroner’s officials amended Natalie Wood’s death certificate based on unanswered questions about bruises on her upper body but were lacking several pieces of evidence and could only conclude that she drowned under undetermined circumstances more than 30 years ago.

Los Angeles County coroner’s officials state in an 10-page addendum to Wood’s autopsy report that some of the bruises may have occurred before she went into the water and drowned, but that could not be definitively determined.

The report reveals new details about a renewed investigative interest in Wood’s case, but it does not answer many of lingering questions about the actress’ death and a Sheriff’s Department spokesman said it has not changed the ongoing status of the case.

READ FULL STORY

Jimmy Savile sex-abuse scandal called 'unprecedented'

The late entertainer Jimmy Savile committed more than 200 sex crimes over more than half a century, with most victims children and teens assaulted the length and breadth of Britain, from TV studios to hospitals and even a hospice, a police report said Friday.

Detectives said the scale of Savile’s sex abuse was “unprecedented in the U.K.” They have recorded 214 offenses allegedly committed by Savile between 1995 and 2009, including 34 rapes, on victims aged 8 to 47. In all, 450 people have come forward with information about abuse by the late TV presenter. READ FULL STORY

Report: 'Anchorman 2' set burgled of $300,000 worth of wiring

What do thieves love more than lamp? How about lamp wires.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Monday that $300,000 worth of wiring in a building currently used for the Atlanta production of Anchorman: The Legend Continues, the sequel to 2004’s Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, was swiped.

The incident, reported on Dec. 27, has sparked a $5,000 reward for tips on who perpetrated the nefarious burglary.

Paramount did not return a request from EW for comment.

Read more:
Paramount sets ‘Anchorman’ sequel release date for December 2013
‘Anchorman’ sequel: Will Kristen Wiig accept invitation to Brick Tamland’s pants party?
‘Anchorman 2′ director teases plot: ‘We have some songs already written’

Latest Videos

Advertisement

From Our Partners

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP