News Briefs TV, movie and music news

Man arrested for throwing furniture on set of Woody Allen film

Filming for Woody Allen’s latest (untitled) film, which stars Emma Stone, Joaquin Phoenix, and Parker Posey, was recently interrupted when a man reportedly began throwing furniture on set.

According to the Associated Press, a man the Rhode Island police have identified as Mark Spiridakos showed up to set and “tossed a chair” before assaulting security guards on Tuesday. Security guards said Spiridakos had been asking “weird questions” before he was arrested and charged with assault.

Police said that after Spiridakos attempted to run from the set, he was tackled and then taken to the hospital with a head injury.

Spike Lee puts up memorial for man who died from NYPD chokehold

Filmmaker Spike Lee has erected a memorial honoring Eric Garner, the man who was killed by a New York police officer’s chokehold July 17.

Garner was being arrested “on suspicion of selling untaxed, loose cigarettes” when a police officer placed a chokehold on him, the Associated Press reports. In a video of the event, Garner can be heard saying “I can’t breathe” before he loses consciousness. (Garner suffered from asthma.)  An autopsy later revealed that the chokehold did cause the 43-year-old’s death.

READ FULL STORY

Lionsgate granted restraining order after 'Expendables 3' leak

The Expendables 3 doesn’t arrive in theaters until August 15, but some websites have been streaming leaked versions of the film. Lionsgate, The Expendables 3‘s distributor, filed a lawsuit July 31 and was granted a temporary restraining order against the offending sites Monday.

READ FULL STORY

Cinema verite filmmaker Robert Drew dies at 90

Robert Drew, a filmmaker and pioneer in the cinéma vérité style of documentaries, has died. He was 90.

Drew got his start in the 1950s and broke ground in 1960 with Primary, a documentary that followed the a primary election between Hubert Humphrey and John F. Kennedy that eventually made its way into the Library of Congress’ National Film Registry in 1990.

READ FULL STORY

Teen cosplayer attacked near Comic-Con

UPDATE: The victim, a female minor, was found with “significant injuries” by the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina hotel pool on the 27th, the San Diego Unified Port District Harbor Police informed the press on Thursday. She had attended Comic-Con prior to the incident. The police investigation concluded that her injuries were not the result of a criminal assault, rather they were likely sustained in a fall “from the distance of approximately six feet.” The findings do not affect the charges against Kalior.

At 1:15 a.m. on July 27, the San Diego Unified Port District Harbor Police arrested 29-year-old Justin Kalior at the Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina hotel, EW has confirmed. According to a press release, the suspect was then “booked into San Diego County Jail at 11:20 a.m. on charges of sexual contact with a minor and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.”

The victim’s friends and family quickly took to social media after the event happened, revealing that the victim had been dressed in cosplay when the attack took place. It’s unclear if the victim had attended San Diego Comic-Con, though the Marriott Marquis is known for its connection to the convention.

According to the police statement, the victim was taken to the hospital while the investigation is ongoing.

Drew Barrymore's half sister found dead

Drew Barrymore’s half sister, Jessica Barrymore, is dead.

According to KGTV ABC10 San Diego, Jessica was found dead in a car in National City, California early Tuesday. Her body was discovered when another woman tried to leave for work only to realize she was blocked in her driveway. She then found Jessica unresponsive in the car, reportedly surrounded by a number of white pills.

Drew and Jessica shared a father, John Drew Barrymore. Drew Barrymore gave a statement to People: “Although I only met her briefly, I wish her and her loved ones as much peace as possible, and I’m so incredibly sorry for their loss.”

An autopsy is not yet scheduled.

Bryan Singer dismissed from sex abuse charges

On Friday, John Doe 117 dismissed his sex abuse suit against Bryan Singer.

In the lawsuit, John Doe 117 had originally claimed that Singer and Broadway production exec Gary Goddard had sexually abused him. Singer had filed a motion to dismiss the case in July, but this latest dismissal came about before that motion was even heard.

The case was dismissed with prejudice, so in the future, the plaintiff will not be able to file new cases against Singer with the same allegations.

As for Goddard, John Doe 117’s lawyers filed a brief opposing his motion to dismiss. His case remains active.

John Doe 117’s attorney, Jeff Herman, issued the following statement: “Upon further review of the facts and circumstances, my client does not want to pursue those claims.” Marty Singer, attorney for Bryan Singer, told EW, “We are pleased the case was dismissed.” Goddard’s attorney did not immediately reply to request for comment.

Buzzfeed has a copy of Singer’s dismissal and the memo in opposition to Goddard’s motion to dismiss.

Adele's son wins five-figure settlement from paparazzi

Even when Adele isn’t on stage, she’s still winning.

According to the Associated Press, Adele’s one-year-old son, Angelo, won a five-figure sum in damages from a settlement with photo agency Corbis Images UK after paparazzi photographed him in private family moments.

Adele’s lawyer Jenny Afia told the AP that the singer refused to let her son become “public property.” “It is a matter of profound sadness that many of his milestone moments, such as his first family outing and his first trip to playgroup, were photographed and published worldwide expressly against his family’s wishes,” Afia added.

As for the money, it will be held in a trust for Angelo, and Corbis Images UK has agreed to stop using the photos.

Judge says John Travolta can't stop alleged gay lover from spilling secrets

A California appeals court judge made a ruling on Tuesday that said actor John Travolta can no longer prevent former employee and alleged former gay lover Douglas Gotterba from telling his side of the story in court.

Gotterba worked for Travolta’s aircraft company Alto in the 1980s, until he reached a written termination agreement with the business in 1987. The pilot claims that his six-year working relationship with Travolta developed into something much more personal, and nearly 25 years later, he decided to “tell the story of his life and those involved in it.”

After Gotterba gave an interview to The National Enquirer and announced plans to release a book, Travolta’s attorney sent the pilot cease-and-desist letters claiming Gotterba was breaching a confidentiality provision in his original termination agreement. But Gotterba and his lawyer called the documents inauthentic, saying the paperwork in question was an early draft of the agreement. Gotterba sued Travolta and Alto, seeking a judge’s opinion about which agreement was valid and whether or not confidentiality was really enforceable.

However, a special California law created to protect First Amendment rights continued the legal back and forth—Alto responded with an anti-SLAPP motion asserting Travolta’s right to petition and further questioned whether or not Gotteba’s lawsuit was based upon the cease-and-desist letters alone, or the larger confidentiality disagreement. On Tuesday, California appeals court Presiding Justice Arthur Gilbert ruled in Gotteba’s favor, stating that the lawsuit was based on “the validity of the asserted termination agreements.” According to court documents, Gilbert added, “Although the prelitigation letters may have triggered Gotterba’s complaint and may be evidence in support of the complaint, they are not the basis of the complaint.”

Gilbert concluded that if Travolta had won, the decision “would lead to the absurd result that a person receiving a demand letter threatening legal action for breach of contract would be precluded from seeking declaratory relief to determine the validity of the contract. Declaratory relief would be limited to situations where the parties have not communicated their disagreement.”

Conor Oberst drops libel lawsuit against rape accuser

Conor Oberst, musician and Bright Eyes frontman, has dropped the libel lawsuit he filed against rape accuser Joanie Faircloth.

In 2013, Faircloth took to the xoJane comments section to claim that Oberst raped her when she was 16. Her claim quickly spread across the internet, and she later wrote a Tumblr further detailing the supposed encounter. Although both the comments and the Tumblr post were deleted, Oberst said that the claims damaged his reputation and career, leading him to file a libel lawsuit against Faircloth.

READ FULL STORY

Latest Videos

Advertisement

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP