News Briefs TV, movie and music news

Category: News (1-10 of 7858)

Watch Darren Wilson break silence on ABC News: 'I have a clean conscience'

Making his first public appearance since the death of Michael Brown, Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson broke his silence in an interview with ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos, explaining the circumstances that prompted him to shoot the 18-year-old on Aug. 9.

On Monday night, a St. Louis County grand jury would not bring charges against him, a decision that ignited protests in Ferguson.

“The reason I have a clean conscience is because I know I did my job right,” Wilson told Stephanopoulos Tuesday night on World News with David Muir.

In the interview, Wilson describes the events that lead to Brown’s death. He claims Brown threw the first punch, hitting him on the left side of his face. Then, he says Brown punched him on the right side of his face. He was unsure if he’d be able to survive another blow. Wilson pulled his gun out, and Brown made a move toward it, grabbing it with his hand, he said.

Wilson says he tried to shoot Brown, but his gun didn’t go off until the third time he pulled the trigger. Brown then ran off and Wilson ran after him. When asked why he didn’t let Brown go, Wilson responded, “My job isn’t to sit and wait.”

Next, Wilson said Brown stopped, his right hand in his waist pant, and his left hand rolled up into a fist. Wilson didn’t know if Brown had weapons on him. Stephanopoulos mentioned that some witnesses claimed Brown put his hands up, which Wilson denied.

Wilson then claimed Brown came at him, so he fired. He paused, and told Brown to get on the ground, but Brown didn’t stop running. When Brown got within eight to 10 feet of him, Wilson shot Brown in the head. Wilson had never used his gun while on duty prior to the shooting.

He said that there’s nothing he could have done to prevent the killing from taking place. When asked, he also said the events would have played out the same way if Brown had been white. “It’s always going to be something that happened,” Wilson said.

At the end of the interview, Stephanopoulos added that Wilson said he would not have done anything differently.

Bill Cosby biographer admits 'I was wrong' to ignore sexual assault allegations

cosby-his-life-and-times

As women continue to come forward with allegations of sexual assault against Bill Cosby, several journalists have offered mea culpas for turning a blind eye to the allegations and helping paint the comedian’s falsely wholesome image as “America’s Dad.”

The latest among them is The New York Times’ David Carr, who on Monday owned up to being one of Cosby’s “media enablers.”

In addition to admitting that he, too, opted out of addressing the allegations in his”deeply unpleasant” Q&A with Cosby for an in-flight magazine in 2011, Carr called out a list of culpable parties, including The Atlantic‘s Ta-Nehisi Coates, The New Yorker‘s Kelefa T. Sanneh, and most critically Mark Whitaker, author of the nearly-500-page Cosby: His Life and Times biography. “Any book of the size and scope of Mr. Whitaker’s should have gone there,” Carr wrote.

Whitaker has said he didn’t want to include anything that wasn’t confirmed in Cosby, which he wrote in cooperation with the comedian. But on Monday, he made it clear he was no longer defending his decision.

“David you are right. I was wrong to not deal with the sexual assault charges against Cosby and pursue them more aggressively,” he wrote in response to Carr on Twitter. “I am following new developments and will address them at the appropriate time. If true the stories are shocking and horrible.”

Last week, Ta-Nehisi Coates wrote a piece in The Atlantic similar to Carr’s, regretting his own “recklessness” in his coverage of Cosby from 2006 to 2007.

“I don’t have many writing regrets. But this is one of them, “Coates wrote. “I regret not saying what I thought of the accusations, and then pursuing those thoughts. I regret it because the lack of pursuit puts me in league with people who either looked away, or did not look hard enough. I take it as a personal admonition to always go there, to never flinch, to never look away.”

Another woman comes forward in Cosby case: Comedy club manager Joyce Emmons claims the actor drugged her

Joyce Emmons, a former comedy club manager, has stepped forward to add her name to the growing list of women alleging sexual misconduct at the hands of Bill Cosby.

READ FULL STORY

Renita Chaney Hill, Kristina Ruehli say Bill Cosby sexually assaulted them

Two more women have spoken up publicly to say they were sexually assaulted by Bill Cosby.

READ FULL STORY

Bill Cosby jokes about being an 'evil man' in stand-up performance

Bill Cosby took the stage Thursday night in the Bahamas for a stand-up routine, his first performance since past sexual assault allegations against became the focus of new scrutiny this month.

READ FULL STORY

Actress Angela Leslie says Bill Cosby sexually assaulted her

Another actress has come forward accusing Bill Cosby of sexual assault. READ FULL STORY

Therese Serignese alleges Bill Cosby sexually assaulted her

The latest in a line of alleged victims to come forward, 57-year-old Therese Serignese is claiming that Bill Cosby sexually assaulted her.

According to People, Serignese says the assault began in 1976, when she was 19, and Cosby gave her a free ticket to his Vegas show. Serignese remembers going backstage to the green room after the show and being offered two Qaaludes from Cosby, who identified the pills and told her to take them. READ FULL STORY

AP releases video of Bill Cosby pressing reporter to edit interview; new victim comes forward

The Associated Press has released a previously unaired portion of a Nov. 6 interview in which the interviewer asks Bill Cosby about the rape allegations made against him.

READ FULL STORY

'Graduate' director Mike Nichols dead at 83

Mike Nichols, the Oscar-winning director of such films as The GraduateWorking Girl, and The Birdcage, has died at the age of 83.  READ FULL STORY

CNN's Don Lemon apologizes for remarks he made to alleged Bill Cosby rape victim

CNN’s Don Lemon made headlines Wednesday morning for some things he said to Joan Tarshis, an alleged Bill Cosby rape victim, during an interview Tuesday night. And now he’s apologizing.

At one point in the interview, Lemon asks Tarshis why she didn’t fight Cosby, who she claimed in a post on Hollywood Elsewhere forced her to perform oral sex. “There are ways not to perform oral sex if you don’t want to do it,” Lemon said.  READ FULL STORY

Latest Videos

Advertisement

From Our Partners

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP