Yahoo agreed to buy the blogging service Tumblr for around $1.1 billion in cash, reports The New York Times. If the deal is approved, it would be the biggest yet under the tenure of new Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer and a major move into social media for the Internet company. (It would also top Facebook’s acquisition of Instagram for $1 billion last year.) Founded in 2007, Tumblr has a young, active user base, with over 108 million blogs, that Yahoo will likely want to tap into.
Yahoo plans to buy Tumblr for $1.1 billion
- 'Arrow'; 'The 100'; 'American Idol'; more TV recaps
- 'The Americans'; 'Top Chef'; 'Broad City'; more TV recaps
- Super Bowl ads of 2015: Watch the early arrivals here
- Super Bowl battle of the banned ads: Pick your all-time fave in our bracket showdown
- Chris Pratt and Aubrey Plaza talk 'Parks and Rec': Andy and April spin-off 'behind the bedroom door'?
- 'Party Down South' season 3 peek: Meet Hannah, the new hell-raiser
- Angels and Airwaves premieres half-animated video for 'Tunnels'
- 'Bachelor' seminar: Prof. Jimmy Kimmel breaks down Chris Soules' response to Britt
Top 5 Most Read
- Jimmy Kimmel breaks down Chris Soules' speech from 'The Bachelor'
- Daryl, Eugene, and Rosita look super-intense in new 'Walking Dead' photos -- exclusive
- 'Game of Thrones' creators react to seeing their show in IMAX for first time -- exclusive
- 'Grey's Anatomy' boss teases new doctors and new relationships
- 'Walking Dead' actor joins 'Criminal Minds' spinoff