Yahoo agreed to buy the blogging service Tumblr for around $1.1 billion in cash, reports The New York Times. If the deal is approved, it would be the biggest yet under the tenure of new Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer and a major move into social media for the Internet company. (It would also top Facebook’s acquisition of Instagram for $1 billion last year.) Founded in 2007, Tumblr has a young, active user base, with over 108 million blogs, that Yahoo will likely want to tap into.
Yahoo plans to buy Tumblr for $1.1 billion
- 'Twilight Saga' returning with five short films on Facebook
- 'Sons of Anarchy' star Theo Rossi on TV shows that make him cry
- Tricia Helfer in Syfy's space thriller 'Ascension': First trailer
- 'Selfie' series premiere: Let's compare notes
- 'Manhattan Love Story': Disappointment at first sight
- 'New Girl' recap: 'Julie Berkman's Older Sister'
- 'Tak3n' trailer: Liam Neeson calls on a particular set of skills (again)
- Stephen King's 'A Good Marriage': Watch Joan Allen share some motherly advice
Top 5 Most Read
- 'The Walking Dead' star Emily Kinney says there's 'definitely a connection' between Beth and Daryl
- 'Castle' season 7 premiere recap: Where in the world is Richard Castle?
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: Raining on prom night
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- 'Mythbusters': Discovery responds to fan outrage over dumping Kari Byron