Judi Dench diagnosed with degenerative eye condition -- UPDATE
UPDATE: Dame Judi Dench released a statement to EW about her degenerative eye condition, downplaying reports that she will go blind. “In response to the numerous articles in the media concerning my eye condition — macular degeneration — I do not wish for this to be overblown … This condition is something that thousands and thousands of people all over the world are having to contend with. It’s something that I have learnt to cope with and adapt to — and it will not lead to blindness.”
EARLIER: Dame Judi Dench is severely struggling with her vision, and says that she has been diagnosed with macular degeneration, which can cause loss of eyesight, the AP reports. The 77-year-old Academy Award-winning actress (Shakespeare in Love) told the Daily Mirror: “I can’t read scripts anymore because of the trouble with my eyes. And so somebody comes in and reads them to me … The most distressing thing is in a restaurant in the evening I can’t see the person I’m having dinner with.” Dench is now shooting the latest James Bond film, Skyfall, reprising her role as M. EW was unable to reach Dench’s manager for comment.
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': How big at the box office?
- 'Big Brother' recap: Evicted houseguest is...
- 'Project Runway' recap: Unconventional movie night
- 'Honorable Woman': Thriller deals deftly with a complex subject
- 'The Quest' premiere: Bored game
- Comic-Con: Why Team 'Twilight' made it better
- DC Comics characters we'd invite to the 'Arrow'/'Flash' party
- Chris Hardwick shares his Comic-Con '14 photo diary
- STAHP in the name of love 966
- DON'T PUBLISH See FIVE minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO 595
- Enough, already: Why I'm quitting 'The Leftovers' 459
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams and other directors are working to save movie film 330
- Box office report: 'Lucy' slays 'Hercules' with $44 million debut 285
Top 5 Most Read
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams, and other directors are trying to save Kodak
- Dick Smith, makeup artist of 'The Godfather,' 'The Exorcist': A tribute
- Box office preview: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' aims for a cosmic debut
- Movie Review: Guardians of the Galaxy
- Sony releases surprise NSync album; NSync is surprised