Judi Dench diagnosed with degenerative eye condition -- UPDATE
UPDATE: Dame Judi Dench released a statement to EW about her degenerative eye condition, downplaying reports that she will go blind. “In response to the numerous articles in the media concerning my eye condition — macular degeneration — I do not wish for this to be overblown … This condition is something that thousands and thousands of people all over the world are having to contend with. It’s something that I have learnt to cope with and adapt to — and it will not lead to blindness.”
EARLIER: Dame Judi Dench is severely struggling with her vision, and says that she has been diagnosed with macular degeneration, which can cause loss of eyesight, the AP reports. The 77-year-old Academy Award-winning actress (Shakespeare in Love) told the Daily Mirror: “I can’t read scripts anymore because of the trouble with my eyes. And so somebody comes in and reads them to me … The most distressing thing is in a restaurant in the evening I can’t see the person I’m having dinner with.” Dench is now shooting the latest James Bond film, Skyfall, reprising her role as M. EW was unable to reach Dench’s manager for comment.
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' boss talks THAT killer twist
- 'Scandal': Kerry Washington and costars on midseason finale shocker
- 'How to Get Away With Murder'; 'Scandal'; 'Grey's Anatomy'; 'Big Bang Theory'; 'Gracepoint'; more TV recaps
- 'Parenthood'; 'Vampire Diaries'; 'Reign'; 'Project Runway All-Stars'; more TV recaps
- Jon Hamm returning to 'Parks and Recreation'
- 'Cups' returns in 'Pitch Perfect 2' trailer
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' does Nirvana: Watch Evan Peters sing 'Come As You Are'
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Jimmy Smits talks Nero's heartbreaking scenes
Top 5 Most Read
- 'How to Get Away With Murder' recap: 'Kill Me, Kill Me, Kill Me'
- AMC to debut 'Better Call Saul' with two-night event
- 'AHS: Freak Show' Exclusive: Watch Evan Peters perform Nirvana's 'Come As You Are'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' star Jimmy Smits talks Nero's heartbreaking scenes
- 'Scandal' postmortem: What's next after the shocking disappearance?