Julie Taymor sues over 'Spider-Man' musical

Director Julie Taymor filed a lawsuit Tuesday against the producers of Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark, alleging they violated her creative rights and haven’t compensated her for the work she put into Broadway’s most expensive musical. Charles Spada, an attorney who filed the suit on behalf of the Tony Award-winning director, said Tuesday in a statement that “the producers’ actions have left her no choice but to resort to legal recourse to protect her rights.”

Rick Miramontez, the show’s spokesman, was not immediately aware of the lawsuit, filed in federal court in New York. Taymor was not available to comment.

Taymor who had been the Spider-Man director and co-book writer, was fired from the $75 million musical in March after years of delays, accidents and critical backlash. Philip William McKinley, who directed the Hugh Jackman musical The Boy From Oz in 2003, was hired to steer the ship. He was billed as creative consultant when the musical opened in June. The show has been doing brisk business ever since, easily grossing more than $1 million most weeks.

According to Spada, “producers have failed to compensate Ms. Taymor for their continued use of her work to date, despite the fact that the show has consistently played to capacity or near-capacity houses since its first public performance in November 2010.”

Taymor’s lawsuit comes less than a week after the Tony Awards Administration Committee ruled that only Taymor will be considered eligible for the Tony’s best direction of a musical category.
The Stage Directors and Choreographers Society filed an arbitration claim in June against the show’s producers over royalties.

Read more:
‘South Park’ skewers Broadway, ‘Spider-Man’
Julie Taymor says ‘Spider-Man’ harmed by Twitter, focus groups
EW’s official review of ‘Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark’


Latest Videos

Advertisement

From Our Partners

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP