Former Sony president and chairman Norio Ohga, who helped guide the development of the compact disc and was behind Sony’s purchase of Columbia Pictures, died Saturday of multiple organ failure at 81, the company announced today. Ohga was president of Sony from 1982 through 1995, a time when the Japan-based company expanded into portable electronic devices like the Walkman, and videogaming with the Sony PlayStation.
Apr 23 2011 07:21 PM ET
Former Sony head Norio Ohga, who helped develop the CD, dies at 81
- 'Wolverine'/Summer Must List: EW cover
- 'Star Trek': Alice Eve underwear 'mystery'
- Jennifer Aniston: 'We're the Millers' trailer
- 'Only God Forgives': Cannes review
- Cassadee Pope: Hear her new single
- Jeanne Cooper tribute: First Look photo
- 'Idol': Candice Glover album out July 16
- 'DWTS': Kellie and Derek win season 16