Ashraf Azad, the 28-year-old brother of 22-year-old Harry Potter actress Afshan Azad, has checked into jail for six months for assaulting his sister last May, according to Reuters. In December, Ashraf pleaded guilty to charges of assault, stemming from the incident at their home in Longsight Manchester, where he attacked Afshan for dating a non-Muslim. Afshan — who played Padma Patil in the films — had requested that the court not send Ashraf to jail. “The persistent attack was accompanied by serious and very hurtful abuse and threats,” Judge Roger Thomas said during the sentencing. “The background to this offense lies in the concern that you, and perhaps other family members, had about Afshan’s relationship with a young man who was not of the Islamic faith.”
Brother of 'Harry Potter' actress jailed for six months
- 'St. Vincent' director's long road to Bill Murray: 'Can you meet me at LAX in an hour?'
- 'Big Brother'; 'So You Think You Can Dance'; 'Top Chef Duels': TV recaps
- 'Suits' boss talks what's next for Louis and Co. after 'This Is Rome'
- 'Simpsons' writers share 15 tips to survive your 12-day marathon session
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Kurt Sutter reveals how many club members will die
- 'Spider-Woman #1' comic book cover art backlash: Heroine cheek?
- EWwy Awards 2014 winners are...
- #DontKillSeanBean: 'Legends' star on his mastery of on-screen demise
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Simpsons' writers explain how to survive FXX's 552-episode marathon
- Kurt Sutter reveals how many 'Sons of Anarchy' club members will die
- 'Suits' postmortem: Creator Aaron Korsh talks Louis' showdown
- David Letterman airs Robin Williams tribute
- Angelina Jolie on 'Unbroken': This story is 'a giant responsibility'