Ashraf Azad, the 28-year-old brother of 22-year-old Harry Potter actress Afshan Azad, has checked into jail for six months for assaulting his sister last May, according to Reuters. In December, Ashraf pleaded guilty to charges of assault, stemming from the incident at their home in Longsight Manchester, where he attacked Afshan for dating a non-Muslim. Afshan — who played Padma Patil in the films — had requested that the court not send Ashraf to jail. “The persistent attack was accompanied by serious and very hurtful abuse and threats,” Judge Roger Thomas said during the sentencing. “The background to this offense lies in the concern that you, and perhaps other family members, had about Afshan’s relationship with a young man who was not of the Islamic faith.”
Brother of 'Harry Potter' actress jailed for six months
- 'Walking Dead': Carol, Judith, Rick in 2 new pics
- 'Sons of Anarchy' ending: Kurt Sutter says...
- 'Bachelorette' recap: 'The Men Tell All'
- 'Teen Wolf' recap: 'I.E.D.'
- 'Under the Dome' recap: 'Revelations'
- Mark Ruffalo talks potential for a 'Hulk' movie
- Kacy Catanzaro talks 'Ninja Warrior' whirlwind
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' tone?
- 'Two and a Half Men' final season to tackle 'gay' adoption 624
- Captain America is black, Thor is a woman, and Iron Man has a new costume: Witness Avengers NOW! 504
- 'Doctor Who': Which episode should newbies check out first? 419
- 'Lost cause' 326
- 'Dating Naked' reveals disappointingly small ratings 285
Top 5 Most Read
- Robert Downey, Jr. tops Forbes' list of highest paid actors once again
- 'Sons of Anarchy' creator says series ending not yet decided
- J.K. Rowling plans to write more about Cormoran Strike than Harry Potter
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' to be less campy than 'Coven,' FX chief says
- 'Simpsons' character will die in season 26 premiere; 'Futurama' crossover to air in November