New York Times reports. Both sides agreed that “neither side surrendered its view of the law” and settled with undisclosed financial terms. Fairey, featured heavily in the documentary Exit Through the Gift Shop, created the poster to support Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign. In 2009, Fairey preemptively sued the AP after the news organization accused him of infringement, arguing that his use of the photo fell under fair use. Last year, however, after Fairey admitted that he had identified a different AP photo used for the “Hope” poster than the one he actually used and deleted other images to cover his actions, a criminal investigation and civil case were launched. In settling their dispute, Fairey has agreed not to use another AP photo without permission. Fairey and the AP will also share the rights to the Hope image.The Associated Press and artist Shepard Fairey have settled a legal dispute over whether Fairey violated copyright terms by doctoring a 2006 AP photo of then Senator Barack Obama for Fairey’s famous “Hope” poster of Obama, the
Lawsuit over Obama 'Hope' poster settled
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Toil and Till'
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Tommy Flanagan, Theo Rossi talk 'Toil and Till'
- Fall TV 2014: EW critics pick 6 new series to watch
- 'Mindy Project'; 'New Girl'; 'Big Brother'; 'Dancing With the Stars': Tuesday TV recaps
- C-3PO's 'Star Wars' past, present, and future: A deep-dive Q&A with Anthony Daniels
- Fantastic Fest 2014: 22 wonderfully weird films in Austin
- 'Breaking Bad': 'Ozymandias' writer and director look back at milestone episode
- 'Revenge' season 4 trailer: 'Emily Thorne, I'm coming for you'
- Famed James Bond villain Richard Kiel dies at 74 539
- Discovery to strand Democrat and Republican senators on deserted island 481
- The glimmering crocodile tears of Princess Victoria, First of Her Name 475
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks 375
- No Blood On His Hands 331
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- Tom Hiddleston to star in King-Kong spin-off, 'Skull Island'
- 'Revenge' first look: Watch the trailer for season 4
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: No second chance for a second dance