Glenn Shadix, 58, best known for playing interior designer Otho in the movie Beetlejuice (1988), died Tuesday morning in Birmingham, Ala., according to a statement posted by the actor’s family on his official website. Shadix, who was in a wheelchair due to mobility problems, reportedly died after falling and hitting his head in his kitchen, the actor’s sister told The Birmingham News. Director Tim Burton cast Shadix in Beetlejuice after seeing him portray Gertrude Stein in a Los Angeles play. Shadix would work with Burton again on The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) and Planet of the Apes (2001). Shadix also did voice work for the animated show Teen Titans, and guest starred in such shows as Carnivàle and Seinfeld (as Jerry’s landlord). A memorial service is scheduled for Sept. 11 in Birmingham.
'Beetlejuice' actor Glenn Shadix dies
- 'Walking Dead': How far will it have to go to keep shocking us?
- 'Mockingjay' song from Chemical Brothers with Lorde and Miguel debuts
- 'SNL' adds Leslie Jones as cast member
- 'Gotham' costume designer on what clothes tell us about each character
- 'Fraggle Rock,' 'Boondock Saints' actor Gerard Parkes dies at 90
- 'Star Wars' First Look: Alex Ross' cover for Marvel comic book
- Taylor Swift's 'Welcome to New York' sneaks out before midnight
- Fiona Apple theme song to 'The Affair': Any clues to who's dead?