Glenn Shadix, 58, best known for playing interior designer Otho in the movie Beetlejuice (1988), died Tuesday morning in Birmingham, Ala., according to a statement posted by the actor’s family on his official website. Shadix, who was in a wheelchair due to mobility problems, reportedly died after falling and hitting his head in his kitchen, the actor’s sister told The Birmingham News. Director Tim Burton cast Shadix in Beetlejuice after seeing him portray Gertrude Stein in a Los Angeles play. Shadix would work with Burton again on The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) and Planet of the Apes (2001). Shadix also did voice work for the animated show Teen Titans, and guest starred in such shows as Carnivàle and Seinfeld (as Jerry’s landlord). A memorial service is scheduled for Sept. 11 in Birmingham.
'Beetlejuice' actor Glenn Shadix dies
- 'SNL' preview: What to expect from Cameron Diaz, Bruno Mars, and Mark Ronson?
- 20 platonic movie/TV power couples
- 'Scandal' cues up a Stevie Wonder song, more of the week's best music on TV
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': A movie, or just an extended prologue for the movie yet to come?
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- 'Hell on Wheels' star Anson Mount on sage advice from Jon Hamm, 'Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror' hell
- 'Hobbit' First Look: Billy Boyd music video for the 'Last Goodbye' closing theme
- 'Mockingjay': Hear Jennifer Lawrence sing 'The Hanging Tree'
Top 5 Most Read
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- Natalie Dormer advocates for more male nudity on 'Game of Thrones'
- 'Mockingjay -- Part 1': The 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- Tina Fey's NBC comedy moving to Netflix
- Cher cancels rest of 'Dressed to Kill' tour dates due to infection