Glenn Shadix, 58, best known for playing interior designer Otho in the movie Beetlejuice (1988), died Tuesday morning in Birmingham, Ala., according to a statement posted by the actor’s family on his official website. Shadix, who was in a wheelchair due to mobility problems, reportedly died after falling and hitting his head in his kitchen, the actor’s sister told The Birmingham News. Director Tim Burton cast Shadix in Beetlejuice after seeing him portray Gertrude Stein in a Los Angeles play. Shadix would work with Burton again on The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) and Planet of the Apes (2001). Shadix also did voice work for the animated show Teen Titans, and guest starred in such shows as Carnivàle and Seinfeld (as Jerry’s landlord). A memorial service is scheduled for Sept. 11 in Birmingham.
'Beetlejuice' actor Glenn Shadix dies
- 'SNL': How'd Lena Dunham do?
- Oscars: What it's like to go with Jennifer Lawrence
- 'True Detective': Fun fan sites
- 'Supernatural' spinoff gets new title
- 'Reign': What did 'uncensored' sex scenes add?
- 'Bachelor': Clare and Juan Pablo find wedding song?
- TV pilot season: 10 trends for fall
- Stephen Colbert visits Jimmy Fallon: 'Truth or Truth?'
Top 5 Most Read
- Jennifer Lawrence's best friend wrote a behind-the-scenes account of Oscars night
- Fox renews 'Mindy Project,' 'The Following,' more
- Second time around: TV stars who reprised iconic roles
- Lena Dunham hosts 'Saturday Night Live' this weekend: Talk about it here!
- Box office update: '300: Rise of an Empire' obliterates competition with a $17.7 million Friday