Glenn Shadix, 58, best known for playing interior designer Otho in the movie Beetlejuice (1988), died Tuesday morning in Birmingham, Ala., according to a statement posted by the actor’s family on his official website. Shadix, who was in a wheelchair due to mobility problems, reportedly died after falling and hitting his head in his kitchen, the actor’s sister told The Birmingham News. Director Tim Burton cast Shadix in Beetlejuice after seeing him portray Gertrude Stein in a Los Angeles play. Shadix would work with Burton again on The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) and Planet of the Apes (2001). Shadix also did voice work for the animated show Teen Titans, and guest starred in such shows as Carnivàle and Seinfeld (as Jerry’s landlord). A memorial service is scheduled for Sept. 11 in Birmingham.
'Beetlejuice' actor Glenn Shadix dies
- EW's SAG Awards Party 2015: What the stars wore
- SAG Awards 2015 viewing party: Watch with us as we blog the memorable moments
- SAG Awards 2015: Mingling inside EW's party
- 'American Sniper' keeps box office crown: $64.4M
- 'SNL' recap: Blake brings a country twang, but too often the sketches go south
- 'SNL': 10 best (and 5 worst) host/musical guests
- Johnny Depp after 'Mortdecai'? 5 directors we think can help him find his mojo
- WWE Royal Rumbles: Ranking the worst, best, and the G.O.A.T.