David Wolper, the legendary Hollywood producer who brought Roots and The Thorn Birds to the small screen, has died at 82 of congestive heart failure and complications from Parkinson’s Disease, according to the AP. Roots was watched by 130 million people back in 1977, roughly half the population of the country at the time. Wolper also produced for the big screen, including 1971′s Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and, years later, 1997′s Oscar-winning police drama LA Confidential.
Aug 11 2010 06:36 PM ET
David Wolper, producer of 'Roots' and 'The Thorn Birds,' dies at 82
- 'Veronica Mars': Max Greenfield's in
- 'Voice': Danielle Bradbery wins season 4
- Blake Shelton on Danielle 'Voice' win
- Slim Whitman, singer in TV ads, dies
- 'Man of Steel' guys talk THAT ending
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' top 20 is...
- Miley Cyrus all-nighter in 'We Can't Stop'
- 'Big Brother': Two twists for new season