The federal government has outlined a new plan for enforcing anti-piracy legislation, The Hollywood Reporter reports. At the announcement today, Vice President Joe Biden commented, “To state it very bluntly, piracy hurts. It hurts our economy, our health, and our safety.” The plan coordinates federal efforts combating intellectual property infringement, including the creation of a new specialized task force within the Justice Department. A report also released on Tuesday tallied motion picture and video piracy as costing the U.S. $20.5 billion every year.
Obama administration unveils new efforts to combat piracy
- 'Sound of Music': Laura Benanti on big night
- Oscars 2014: Who's up, who's down
- Grammy nominations: Who gets the call tonight?
- 10 best movies of '13: Owen Gleiberman picks...
- 10 best movies of '13: Chris Nashawaty picks...
- 10 best TV shows of '13: Doc Jensen's picks
- 10 best TV shows of '13: Melissa Maerz's picks
- 10 best albums of '13: Nick Catucci's picks