The Tony award-winning Hair revival will be closing its doors, according to a press release from the producers. The final performance will take place July 27 at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre “having recouped [the show's] entire investment and generating a profit,” the release reads. The revival began three years ago as a free performance in Central Park, and won the Tony last year for Best Revival of a Musical. Ticket sales, however, had dropped after the original cast left Broadway in early March to perform the show on London’s West End — in February, Hair, under the original cast, was playing above 80 percent capacity; the show played at 47 percent capacity for the week ending May 31. (The show currently stars American Idol alums Diana DeGarmo and Ace Young). Audiences can still see the production after July 27, when it heads out on its first national tour in October.
'Hair' to close on Broadway
- 'SNL': How'd Cameron Diaz do?
- Tyler James Williams' 'Walking Dead' preview: 'We're going back to get the squad'
- 'Hobbit' First Look: Billy Boyd music video for the 'Last Goodbye' closing theme
- Stephen Merchant answers burning Q's about 'Hello Ladies: The Movie' (including THAT cameo)
- 20 platonic movie/TV power couples
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': A movie, or just an extended prologue for the movie yet to come?
- 'Mockingjay': Hear Jennifer Lawrence sing 'The Hanging Tree'
Top 5 Most Read
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- Bodies of Work: 49 Unforgettable Nude Scenes
- Cameron Diaz hosts 'Saturday Night Live' this weekend -- talk about it here!
- Harry Potter's Hogwarts Alums: Ranking Achievements Three Years Later
- 20 Classic Movie/TV Bikinis