Joe Jackson, father of the late Michael Jackson, announced that he will renew efforts to build a $300 million museum and performing arts center in honor of his son in the family’s hometown of Gary, Ind., reports the Associated Press. According to Jackson, the project, dubbed the Jackson Family Museum and Hotel and the Michael Jackson Performing Arts and Cultural Center and Theaters, will be funded by the Jackson Family Foundation and the city of Gary. However, a lack of financial details has made some locals skeptical that the idea will ever get off the ground. Michael Jackson originally announced plans for the center in 2003 but made no real progress toward creating it before his death and left no provisions for it in his will. “The Estate of Michael Jackson was never consulted about, nor is it involved in, the Jackson Family museum being proposed in Gary, Indiana,” Jackson’s lawyer said in a statement to the AP. Neither Joe Jackson nor Gary Mayor Rudy Clay provided specifics on how much money the city of Gary and the Jackson Family Foundation would be able to put into the project.
Michael Jackson's father renews hometown museum plans
- 'Survivor' scouting report: John Rocker's plan if he's recognized?
- Rembrandts are there for 'Friends' fans at N.Y. pop-up Central Perk
- Frankie's 'Big Brother' regret? 'Trusting Caleb. Period.'
- 'Sons of Anarchy'; 'New Girl'; 'Mindy Project'; 'Utopia'; 'Big Brother'; 'DWTS' recaps
- Fall TV 2014: EW critics pick 6 new series to watch
- C-3PO's 'Star Wars' past, present, and future: A deep-dive Q&A with Anthony Daniels
- Julianna Margulies and Jimmy Fallon sing the High School Announcement Hits
- 'Texas Chain Saw Massacre' outtakes unearthed for 40th anniversary collector's set
- No Blood On His Hands 550
- Famed James Bond villain Richard Kiel dies at 74 551
- Discovery to strand Democrat and Republican senators on deserted island 484
- The glimmering crocodile tears of Princess Victoria, First of Her Name 475
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks 416
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- Frankie of 'Big Brother' says he does not regret pushing the Rewind button and wants to marry Zach
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Toil and Till'
- Tom Hiddleston to star in King-Kong spin-off, 'Skull Island'