In a post on his official website, actor Ian McKellen confirmed that the long-gestating Hobbit project will begin shooting this July in New Zealand, with two films planned. “Filming will take over a year,” says the announcement, which confirms that McKellen will reprise his role as the wizard Gandalf. “Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth. The director Guillermo del Toro is now living in Wellington, close to the Jacksons’ and the studio in Miramar.”
Ian McKellen: 'Hobbit' begins shooting in July
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur': And the winner is...
- 'The Interview' nixed for Xmas theatrical release by Sony
- North Korea tied to Sony hack by U.S. intelligence, N.Y. Times reports
- 'The Interview' gets the hook; would a 'prestige' film have been pulled just the same?
- 'The 100' recap: 'Spacewalker'
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens': 10 things Andy Serkis can say now
- Peter Jackson and 'The Hobbit': Three-peating himself--until one shining moment at the end?
- Jenny Slate sings Fleetwood Mac as Marcel the Shell for 'Conan'
Top 5 Most Read
- 'The Voice' Season 7 winner is...
- 'The Voice' season finale recap: Live Finale
- Jason Reitman re-staging 'The Empire Strikes Back' with Aaron…
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst names the two favorites to win heading into tonight's finale
- 'Mythbusters' tackling 'The Simpsons' in season premiere -- exclusive