Figure skater Johnny Weir claims that he wasn’t invited to join the Stars on Ice tour because he wasn’t considered “family-friendly” enough. “I totally understand that I am a little outrageous in some ways,” the skater told Access Hollywood on Thursday. “I’m a little un-P.C., but I really wish I had the chance to perform for the American fans.” In a statement, GLAAD president Jarrett Barrios asked supporters to sign a petition against the perceived double standard. “GLAAD calls on Stars on Ice to invite all eligible figure skaters because today people of all gender expressions and sexual orientations are part of the fabric of our culture. Athletes of Weir’s caliber deserve the same rights to perform on this, and any, tour.” But a rep for Stars on Ice says that Weir’s exclusion has nothing to do with his perceived public image. “Please be assured that the ‘gender identity and sexual orientation’ of cast members has never been a consideration in the selection of tour performers,” said a tour spokesperson in a statement. “While Stars on Ice wishes it could accommodate many more talented skaters as part of our cast, the fact is we cannot sign every skater.”
Johnny Weir claims Stars on Ice deemed him 'not family-friendly enough'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' wraps series finale, team shares pics from set
- 31 scariest movies of all time: Chris Nashawaty's picks
- 17 creepiest TV shows
- 'How to Get Away With Murder': Talk about 'Freakin' Whack-a-Mole' surprises
- 'Scandal'; 'Vampire Diaries'; 'Reign'; more TV recaps
- 'Big Bang Theory'; 'Project Runway All Stars'; 'Graceland'; more TV recaps
- 'Modern Family' Halloween: Welcome to AwesomeLand
- Maggie Gyllenhaal and Ewan McGregor in 'The Real Thing': EW stage review
Top 5 Most Read
- Get an exclusive first look at 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies'
- Lily Rabe to appear on 'American Horror Story: Freak Show,' reprise 'Asylum' role
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' star joins Kevin Williamson's CBS drama pilot
- Videogame face-off: 'FIFA 10' vs. 'NBA2K10'
- Children of the Revolution: An exclusive first look at 'Terminator: Genisys'