Southwest Airlines representative Linda Rutherford reached out to Kevin Smith in response to the director’s “Too Fat To Fly” controversy. Smith had issued a flurry of angry, disappointed, and sarcastic tweets to his 1.6 million followers after he was asked to leave a Saturday flight; according to Southwest’s “customer of size” policy, passengers must buy a second seat if they cannot fit between the arm rests. “I let [Smith] know that in my 18 years here at Southwest, I have never dealt with a situation like what has been unfolding in the last 48 hours,” wrote Rutherford in a Southwest blog item titled My Conversation With Kevin Smith. “At that time, our Employees made the decision to remove Kevin after a quick judgment call that he might have needed more than one seat for his comfort and those seated next to him…. The communication among our Employees was not as sharp as it should have been and, it’s apparent that Southwest could have handled this situation differently. Thanks, Kevin, for your passion around this topic.” According to Rutherford, the airline “will be reviewing how and when this delicate policy is implemented.”
Southwest Air responds to Kevin Smith controversy
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: And the mirrorball goes to...
- Netflix additions for December include 'Wolf of Wall Street,' 'American Horror Story: Coven'
- 'SNL' 'Second Chance Theatre': Ask Jason Sudeikis About Juggling Lessons
- 'Horrible Bosses 2' guys make excellent company for a rooftop chat
- 'Toy Story' kid sis talks transition to music: Sarah Rayne visits EW's 'Polished'
- 'The Flash'; 'Supernatural'; 'The Voice'; 'Mindy Project'; more TV recaps
- 'Awkward.' season finale: Your take on 'Sprang Break, Part 2'?
- 'Faking It' season finale: Who got 'Busted'?
Top 5 Most Read
- And the 'Dancing With the Stars' season 19 winner is...
- Jennifer Aniston and Lisa Kudrow try to out-curse each other on 'Kimmel'
- 'Dancing With the Stars' season finale recap: A nail-biter till the very end
- Watch Hugh Jackman pull a Johnny Depp in the trailer for 'Pan'
- 'The Voice' recap: Meet the Top 8