As earlier reported in the Ausiello Files, Showtime, whose fourth and final season of the bodice-ripper The Tudors will premiere this spring, announced plans for a new historical drama. In his first regular TV series role, Oscar winner Jeremy Irons will play Rodrigo Borgia, the head of a prominent Italian Renaissance family accused of every possible dastardly crime. Neil Jordan (The Crying Game) will direct. The network plans a spring 2011 premiere.
Showtime plans Jeremy Irons period drama 'The Borgias'
- 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Castle,' more fresh TV spoilers
- 'The Maze Runner' review: Something W.C.K.D. this way comes
- Janet Jackson's 'Rhythm Nation 1814' at 25: The blueprint for modern R&B's golden age
- 'Super Smash Bros.': The best/worst thing ever to happen to Nintendo
- Salma Hayek in 'Everly': Director Joe Lynch on making 'Die Hard'-in-a-room
- 'Once Upon a Time' boss on 'Frozen' references: 'We want it to feel organic'
- 'Gotham' up, 'Selfie' down? Insiders predict fall TV rookie prospects
- Fall TV 2014: EW critics pick 6 new series to watch