Paul Wendkos, 84, best known for directing the 1959 Sandra Dee surf pic Gidget, died in Malibu on Nov. 12 of a lung infection following a stroke, according to The Associated Press. During his 50-year career, Wendkos directed over 100 projects for film and TV, including episodes of Hawaii-Five-O and The Rifleman.
Nov 15 2009 05:15 PM ET
'Gidget' director Paul Wendkos dies
- 'Wolverine'/Summer Must List: EW cover
- Benedict Cumberbatch in 'Trek' shower?!
- Vampire Weekend tops album chart
- 'Twilight' tops Teen Choice Awards noms
- 'Star Trek': Alice Eve underwear 'mystery'
- Jennifer Aniston: 'We're the Millers' trailer
- 'Only God Forgives': Cannes review
- Cassadee Pope: Hear her new single