After realizing that the date of the 61st Primetime Emmy Awards would conflict with not one but two football games, CBS announced that the TV trophy fest will move up a week, from Sept. 20 to Sunday, Sept. 13. "The new date moves the Emmys away from a weekend where CBS has an NFL doubleheader, which can delay the start of primetime on Sunday," Jack Sussman, CBS’ executive vice president for specials, said in a statement released today by the network. "This is better for the live event, the broadcast and our audience at home." Emmy nominations will be announced Thursday, July 16.
Jun 1 2009 08:35 PM ET
Emmy Awards date moved to avoid NFL doubleheader
- James Gandolfini dies at age 51
- James Gandolfini 'a genius': David Chase
- James Gandolfini dies: Tributes on Twitter
- James Gandolfini: 15 classic 'Tony' lines
- 'Divergent' First Look: See new EW cover
- Kanye... or Lucille Bluth: Who said it?
- Kim, Kanye, and...what to name Baby 'K'?
- 'World War Z': EW movie review