Dan Aykroyd says that the long-awaited Ghostbusters III may start shooting this winter, with all the original cast members returning, including Sigourney Weaver. But a spokesperson for Sony, which will distribute the film, politely says that Aykroyd may have jumped the gun a little. "We couldn’t be more excited about the way the new Ghostbusters film is coming together, but at this point we are focused on a great screenplay," the spokesperson tells EW. "I can’t comment on specific casting choices because we don’t have a finished script. We love Dan’s enthusiasm and his support, and while we are making progress, we are still just in development on this project." In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Aykroyd essentially confirmed what EW reported from the ShoWest convention in April — that the franchise film is expected to feature a "new generation" of ghostbusters. The Office scribes Gene Stupnitskyand Lee Eisenberg are writing the screenplay. (Additional reporting by Nicole Sperling)
May 19 2009 11:47 PM ET
'Ghostbusters III' to start shooting next winter?
- 'Wolverine'/Summer Must List: EW cover
- 'X-Men': Evan Peters in as Quiksilver
- 'SNL': Best host of 2012-13? YOU say it's...
- Benedict Cumberbatch in 'Trek' shower?!
- 'Hangover III,' 'F&F 6,' more EW reviews
- 'Nebraska'; Palme d'Or prediction: Cannes
- Google Doodle: Teen's 'Best Day Ever'
- 'Nashville' finale: Count the cliffhangers!