Another artist claims Coldplay borrowed unattributed material for one of its hit songs. Cat Stevens (now Yusuf Islam) says that the band’s "Viva La Vida" is suspiciously similar to his 1973 song "Foreigner Suite." "My son brought it to my attention and said: ‘Doesn’t that sound like ‘Foreigner Suite?’" the singer-songwriter told Reuters by phone from his home in London. "The song definitely sounds like it.…It has such logical chords and the melody has to be what it is." Islam is not alone in claiming credit for a Coldplay tune. The Brooklyn-based band Creaky Boards said last year that "Vida" sounded like their "The Songs I Didn’t Write," while guitarist Joe Satriani is suing Coldplay, claiming that "Vida" lifts portions of his song, "If I Could Fly." Asked if he, too, would take legal action against the British band, Islam replied, "It depends on how well Satriani does."
Cat Stevens: That Coldplay tune sounds like mine
- 'Honey Boo Boo' canceled by TLC 'effective immediately'
- 'Project Runway' finale recap: And the winner is...
- J.K Rowling writes new Dolores Umbridge story
- 'Grey’s Anatomy': Sara Ramirez dissects shocking Calzona twist
- Peter Jackson lets us peek at his prep work for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- 'Forever' sneak peek: Henry and Jo mix classy and sassy
- 'How to Get Away With Murder'; 'Grey's Anatomy; 'Scandal'; more TV recaps
- 'Vampire Diaries'; 'Reign'; 'Parenthood'; 'Gracepoint'; more TV recaps
Top 5 Most Read
- Aaron Paul takes on Toys 'R' Us after 'Breaking Bad' toys are pulled
- Peter Jackson walks us through his battle plans for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- Videogame face-off: 'FIFA 10' vs. 'NBA2K10'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Sara Ramirez dissects shocking Calzona twist
- The 17 most important GIFs from the 'Avengers 2' trailer