Maggie Gyllenhaal has signed on for Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang, a sequel to the 2006 film about a Mary Poppins-like governess played by Emma Thompson, reports Variety. Also joining the cast: Maggie Smith, Rhys Ifans (Notting Hill) and Asa Butterfield (The Boy in the Striped Pajamas). Ralph Fiennes is in discussions for an uncredited cameo. Thompson is also exec producing and writing the screenplay, based the Nurse Matilda books by Christianna Brand. The production, to be helmed by first-time feature director Susanna White (Bleak House), is set to start in the summer.
Maggie Gyllenhaal joins 'Nanny McPhee' sequel
- Jon Favreau's 'Chef': Tasty starter for SXSW
- 27 DreamWorks animated movies: We rank 'em
- 10 signs you're watching a Wes Anderson movie
- 'Vampire Diaries': A salute to Katherine
- 'Reign': What did 'uncensored' sex scenes add?
- 'Need for Speed' cast's abused cars
- Seth MacFarlane: Inside the new 'Cosmos' ship
- 'Reign'-ing sound? TV tunes of the week
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Reign': Are the uncensored sex scenes all that different?
- Second time around: TV stars who reprised iconic roles
- Fox renews 'Mindy Project,' 'The Following,' more
- Dr. Burke returns to 'Grey's Anatomy': What will happen?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Say goodbye to Katherine Pierce by reliving some of her best moments -- VIDEO