Maggie Gyllenhaal has signed on for Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang, a sequel to the 2006 film about a Mary Poppins-like governess played by Emma Thompson, reports Variety. Also joining the cast: Maggie Smith, Rhys Ifans (Notting Hill) and Asa Butterfield (The Boy in the Striped Pajamas). Ralph Fiennes is in discussions for an uncredited cameo. Thompson is also exec producing and writing the screenplay, based the Nurse Matilda books by Christianna Brand. The production, to be helmed by first-time feature director Susanna White (Bleak House), is set to start in the summer.
Maggie Gyllenhaal joins 'Nanny McPhee' sequel
- Disney animated films: Best/worst
- 'The Flash' recap: 'Things You Can't Outrun'
- 'Gilmore Girls': Amy Sherman-Palladino on how the 'thousand yellow daisies' scene grew
- Marvel on cryptic crossover art: 'Stay Tuned!' So, let's theorize...
- 'Lassa Fever' to 'The Dreaming Death': 5 soap opera epidemics
- First canceled show of 2014? Why networks are slow to drop ax this year
- Ray Fisher: Meet DC's 'Cyborg'
- 'Walking Dead': How far will it have to go to keep shocking us?