Maggie Gyllenhaal has signed on for Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang, a sequel to the 2006 film about a Mary Poppins-like governess played by Emma Thompson, reports Variety. Also joining the cast: Maggie Smith, Rhys Ifans (Notting Hill) and Asa Butterfield (The Boy in the Striped Pajamas). Ralph Fiennes is in discussions for an uncredited cameo. Thompson is also exec producing and writing the screenplay, based the Nurse Matilda books by Christianna Brand. The production, to be helmed by first-time feature director Susanna White (Bleak House), is set to start in the summer.
Maggie Gyllenhaal joins 'Nanny McPhee' sequel
- 'Celebrity Apprentice' recap: 'It's Like a Booze Cruise With Knowledge'
- 'Bachelor' recap: Like a camping virgin
- TV pilots now in the works for fall 2015--do you spot any winners?
- Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo comedy among 4 new ABC pilots
- NBC pilot orders for Monica Potter comedy, 'Sharing' from Jimmy Fallon
- 'Jane the Virgin'; 'Sleepy Hollow'; 'The Originals'; 'Gotham'; more TV recaps
- 'Secretary' re-release trailer/poster: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' roots are showing
- SAG and Producers Guild shake up Oscar odds in Best Picture, Best Actor races