As we reported yesterday, Madonna is looking to adopt a second child from Malawi. Reuters is now reporting that on Monday, a Malawian court will review the singer’s request to adopt a 14-month-old girl named Mercy James, who comes from the same orphanage as the singer’s adopted son David. "Her name is Mercy James from Mchinji Home of Hope orphanage. She has no father and mother; they both died," an official at the ministry of Gender and Child Development told Reuters. "We finished the assessment yesterday in readiness for the courts next week." Because foreign adoptions are not officially allowed in Malawi, news of Madonna’s plans has sparked controversy, with some speculating that the pop star is benefiting from special treatment. But Madonna, 50, was recently quoted in a local Malawian newspaper saying that she would only go through with a second adoption if the Malawian people supported it. She is expected to arrive in Malawai this weekend.
Mar 27 2009 05:33 PM ET
Madonna's new adoption: Malawian court to review her request
- 'Voice' season 4: And the winner is...
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' top 20 is...
- 'Channing All Over Your Tatum': Kimmel clip
- Selma Blair exits 'Anger Management'
- Miss USA 2013: Our recap in pictures
- Armie Hammer: No 'Fifty Shades' for me
- 'Dumb and Dumber' sequel finds new home
- 'Man of Steel' gets religion?