As we reported yesterday, Madonna is looking to adopt a second child from Malawi. Reuters is now reporting that on Monday, a Malawian court will review the singer’s request to adopt a 14-month-old girl named Mercy James, who comes from the same orphanage as the singer’s adopted son David. "Her name is Mercy James from Mchinji Home of Hope orphanage. She has no father and mother; they both died," an official at the ministry of Gender and Child Development told Reuters. "We finished the assessment yesterday in readiness for the courts next week." Because foreign adoptions are not officially allowed in Malawi, news of Madonna’s plans has sparked controversy, with some speculating that the pop star is benefiting from special treatment. But Madonna, 50, was recently quoted in a local Malawian newspaper saying that she would only go through with a second adoption if the Malawian people supported it. She is expected to arrive in Malawai this weekend.
Madonna's new adoption: Malawian court to review her request
- 13 movie creeps: Harmless to horrifying
- 'Simpsons' First Look: Jane Fonda as Mr. Burns' secret lover in new clip
- Reality TV: A genre running out of steam?
- Taylor Swift as an Pegacorn; Katy Perry as a Cheeto; more celeb Halloween costumes
- 'Today'/'GMA' Halloween: Lara Spencer as Prince George; Hoda and Kathie Lee in Wayne's World
- J.K. Rowling digs into Dolores Umbridge in new Pottermore story
- 'Sons of Anarchy' wraps series finale, team shares pics from set
- 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies': First Look at the Bennet sisters