As we reported yesterday, Madonna is looking to adopt a second child from Malawi. Reuters is now reporting that on Monday, a Malawian court will review the singer’s request to adopt a 14-month-old girl named Mercy James, who comes from the same orphanage as the singer’s adopted son David. "Her name is Mercy James from Mchinji Home of Hope orphanage. She has no father and mother; they both died," an official at the ministry of Gender and Child Development told Reuters. "We finished the assessment yesterday in readiness for the courts next week." Because foreign adoptions are not officially allowed in Malawi, news of Madonna’s plans has sparked controversy, with some speculating that the pop star is benefiting from special treatment. But Madonna, 50, was recently quoted in a local Malawian newspaper saying that she would only go through with a second adoption if the Malawian people supported it. She is expected to arrive in Malawai this weekend.
Madonna's new adoption: Malawian court to review her request
- 'Of Mice and Men': EW stage review
- 'Survivor' recap: The Man Who Could Not Stand Still
- 'Simpsons' First Look: Homer meets Lego Homer!
- 'Dawson's Creek': Kevin Williamson on how it ended
- 'Vampire Diaries': Paul Wesley nixes shirtless Stefan
- 'Arrow' react: 'The Man Under the Hood'
- 'Friends': The one about making the finale final
- '30 Rock': What made Liz Lemon's sendoff so sweet?
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' star joins Kevin Williamson's CBS drama pilot
- 'Game of Thrones': Jack Gleeson's picture-perfect reaction to the Purple Wedding -- PHOTO
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' movie rights acquired by Universal and Focus Features
- 'The Simpsons' producers spill details on Lego episode; plus, first image of Lego Homer!