Forty six years after his mother, iconic poet Sylvia Plath, committed suicide by gassing herself, her son, Nicholas Hughes has also taken his own life. After a battle withdepression, reports The Times Online, Hughes, 47, who had most recently worked as a professor at the University of AlaskaFairbanks,hanged himself in his Alaskan home. “His lifelong fascination with fish and fishing was a strong and shared bondwith our father (many of whose poems were about the natural world)," said his sister, Freida Hughes, in a statement. "He was aloving brother, a loyal friend to those who knew him and, despite thevagaries that life threw at him, he maintained an almost childlike innocenceand enthusiasm for the next project or plan.”
Mar 23 2009 12:37 PM ET
Nicholas Hughes, son of Sylvia Plath, commits suicide
- 'Arrested Development': We'll binge/recap
- Memorial Day TV marathons: What's on
- Fox reality boss Mike Darnell steps down
- Oklahoma fund-raiser on NBC May 29
- Stone Temple Pilots suit vs. Scott Weiland
- Tom Cruise exits 'Man from U.N.C.L.E.'
- 'Arrested Development': Ask the 'kids'
- 'American Idol' mulling alums as judges?