Summit Entertainment has selected Spanish director Juan Antonio Bayona to direct the third Twilight film, Eclipse, Variety is reporting. Summit has not confirmed the hire. Bayona is not well-known to American audiences, but he directed the highly acclaimed Spanish horror film The Orphanage, which was released in early 2008. He’s also a protege of Hellboy director Guillermo Del Toro, who’s now directing The Hobbit. Bayona scored the gig over other competitors, including Drew Barrymore, who recently made her directing debut with the roller derby film Whip It!, which is now in post-production. Chris Weitz is currently directing the second Twilight film, New Moon. Catherine Hardwicke directed the original, which has now grossed $372 million worldwide.
Mar 12 2009 03:37 AM ET
'Twilight': 'Orphanage' helmer Juan Antonio Bayona to direct 'Eclipse'
- Mariah Carey swears, dress slips on 'GMA'
- Amanda Bynes arrested in N.Y.
- 'Arrested Development': It's almost here!
- Billy Joel in 'N.Y. Times Mag': 10 tidbits
- 'Simpsons': Visit Springfield (in Orlando)
- 'Fast & Furious' vs. 'Hangover' for No. 1
- CBS: Full trailers for new fall shows
- Benedict Cumberbatch in 'Trek' shower?!