The 1988 Winona Ryder dark comedy Heathers is being developed as a stage musical. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Race to Witch Mountain director Andy Fickman, who got his start in theater, has been developing the production with his Reefer Madness collaborator Kevin Murphy, who’s writing the lyrics and book, and Tony-nominated Legally Blonde composer Larry O’Keefe. Earlier this week, Veronica Mars star Kristen Bell took part in a reading, playing the lead role. Whether or not she would take the role on stage is said to depend on her schedule. The musical is expected to be mounted as a regional production in 2010, then head to Broadway if successful.
'Heathers' musical starring Kristen Bell?
- 'Outlander'; 'Doctor Who': TV recaps
- Polly Bergen, actress/singer, dies at 84
- 'Once Upon a Time' boss on 'Frozen' references: 'We want it to feel organic'
- Kim Kardashian as clingy extra-terrestrial hairball on 'American Dad': First Look
- 'Sleepy Hollow' sneak peek: Ichabod Crane meets a naked Ben Franklin
- J.Lo and Iggy Azalea extend the Summer of Butts with 'Booty' remix video
- 'Super Smash Bros.': The best/worst thing ever to happen to Nintendo
- 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Castle,' more fresh TV spoilers