The 1988 Winona Ryder dark comedy Heathers is being developed as a stage musical. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Race to Witch Mountain director Andy Fickman, who got his start in theater, has been developing the production with his Reefer Madness collaborator Kevin Murphy, who’s writing the lyrics and book, and Tony-nominated Legally Blonde composer Larry O’Keefe. Earlier this week, Veronica Mars star Kristen Bell took part in a reading, playing the lead role. Whether or not she would take the role on stage is said to depend on her schedule. The musical is expected to be mounted as a regional production in 2010, then head to Broadway if successful.
'Heathers' musical starring Kristen Bell?
- 'SNL': How'd Blake Shelton do?
- 'SNL': 10 best (and 5 worst) host/musical guests
- WWE Royal Rumbles: Ranking the worst, best, and the G.O.A.T.
- SAG Awards 2014 flashback: Remember what the stars wore last year?
- SAG Awards 2014 flashback: How we ranked last year's speeches
- 'Westworld' team on what their secretive show is about: 'the things that keep you up at night'
- Bill Maher on why 'American Sniper' is a blockbuster while 'Hurt Locker' was not
- Melissa Rauch on gymnastic sex scene in 'The Bronze' at Sundance: 'you write what you know'
Top 5 Most Read
- 'SNL': 10 Best (and 5 Worst) Host/Musical Guests
- 'Westworld' producers hint HBO's drama has great, freaky potential
- Blake Shelton takes over 'Saturday Night Live' this weekend: Talk about it here!
- 'Big Bang Theory' star's gymnastic sex scene scores a '10' at Sundance
- Bill Maher calls 'American Sniper' Chris Kyle 'a psychopath patriot'