ER actress Angela Bassett will make her directorial debut with an indie feature film project called United States, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Based on author Percival Everett’s novel Erasure and adapted by Dwayne Johnson-Cochran, United States is a dramatic comedy about a black writer named Monk Ellison, who experiences a crisis of conscience after he pens a phony autobiography in the voice of a street thug from the ghetto that becomes an unexpected literary sensation. Bassett will produce the movie with her husband, actor Courtney B. Vance, under the couple’s Bassett/Vance Prods. banner. Production is set to start this summer.
Mar 3 2009 02:51 PM ET
Angela Bassett making directorial debut
- 'Star Trek' No. 1 on Friday: $22M
- 'SNL': All Stefon's 'N.Y.'s hottest clubs'
- Seth Meyers on 'SNL' transition: 'Today'
- Shonda Rhimes talks 'Grey's' finale
- 'Voice': Team Xtina or Team Shakira?
- 'Warehouse 13' canceled by Syfy
- 'Office' finale reaction: Yay or nay?
- Kanye video projected onto 66 buildings