Midway Games, the Chicago-based videogame company best known for its Mortal Kombat series of games, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last week, the Associated Press reports. Yesterday, the company announced that a bankruptcy judge had approved several of its first-day motions, which will allow Midway to "utilize its cash to maintain ongoing operations pending a final hearing," according to a company statement. The filing comes in the wake of Sumner Redstone selling his 87.2 percent majority stake in the company this past December.
Feb 17 2009 08:46 PM ET
Midway Games files for bankruptcy
- Mariah Carey swears, dress slips on 'GMA'
- Amanda Bynes arrested in N.Y.
- 'Arrested Development': It's almost here!
- Billy Joel in 'N.Y. Times Mag': 10 tidbits
- 'Simpsons': Visit Springfield (in Orlando)
- 'Fast & Furious' vs. 'Hangover' for No. 1
- CBS: Full trailers for new fall shows
- Benedict Cumberbatch in 'Trek' shower?!