Amber Heard (Pineapple Express) will star opposite Johnny Depp in the film adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson’s novel Rum Diary, which Bruce Robinson is writing and directing, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The story focuses on a love triangle involving a washed-up, hard-drinking journalist named Paul Kemp (Depp) in 1950s Puerto Rico. Heard plays Chenault, a fellow journalist’s girlfriend who has an affair with Kemp, trying to convince him to run away with her. Shooting starts March 30. Depp, who was friends with Thompson, has been trying to get the project off the ground since 2003.
Feb 5 2009 11:18 AM ET
Amber Heard joins Johnny Depp in 'Rum Diary'
- James Gandolfini dies at age 51
- James Gandolfini 'a genius': David Chase
- James Gandolfini dies: Tributes on Twitter
- 'Divergent' First Look: See new EW cover
- 'Hemlock Grove': Netflix OKs season 2
- 'World War Z': EW movie review
- 'Monsters University': EW movie review
- Sam Taylor-Johnson to direct 'Fifty Shades'